Summer Cricket Thread 🏏 🦗 (looks like insects are back on the menu) 🦗

Also, it’s really odd that a week out from this series we still don’t know who’s broadcasting it.

Can’t help but feel that if it gets put on terrestrial tele then that guarantees England will be shockingly bad.

1 Like

I dunno, those BBC T20s were really good over the summer.

https://twitter.com/JasmineJSports/status/1355478307018432513

Whenever you start to think that just maybe your antipathy towards australian cricketers is unfair and unfounded, one of them inevitably steps into the breach…

1 Like

Channel 4 better get this because I’ve just heard that TMS don’t have the rights to the India series. Ffs.

1 Like

I was surprised to learn that if C4 do show these Tests this will be the first time ever that away Tests have been shown live on terrestrial TV

1 Like

I’m kind of surprised, but kind of not. There wasn’t a lot of interest in away tours up to about 30 years ago, just the report in the paper. There wasn’t as much interest in test cricket full stop*, compared to now. Whatever anyone thinks of Sky, they made it happen and proved there was sufficient interest.

*Extracts of Wisden 1989 #2: The first test between England and the West Indies in 1988 at Trent Bridge, featuring one of the greatest test sides ever to play the game, and also England, had an attendance of 24,608. Over 5 days. Perhaps didn’t help that England had lost the previous 10 tests against them, drew this one due to some rain, and then lost the next three, but still.

For reference the 2012 test against the Windies at Trent Bridge was over in less than 4 days, featured cricketing behemoths Adrian Barath, Kiaran Powell, Kirk Edwards and Shane Shiilingford, but had an attendance of 51,921.

I’m off work this week with absolutely bugger all to do, so there might well be more of this sort of thrilling posting to come.

3 Likes

It didn’t help that they didn’t play on Sundays back then.

True. Pretty daft in hindsight.

1 Like
7 Likes

He reckons the whole tour as well, not just the Tests

Boo. I pay for sky and bt not fair everyone else gets to watch

Great, now I’ve got Mambo no. 5 stuck in my head

Thanks a lot, Channel 4

1 Like

Yay! Cancelled my sky subscription in December cos I couldn’t justify the cash any more! Made up about this! :grinning:

I wonder how well England’s test cricketers will take to actually being recognised in the street in future.

Genuinely tempted to get up at four for this. It’s not like I’ve got anything else to do. Already planning my little nest on the sofa

2 Likes

Might watch it on as many different devices as possible to up the viewing figures

1 Like

Check out Mr Nielson family over here