Summer Nature Challenge 🦦🌳

Welcome to our third (and probably final) seasonal nature challenge!

We’re about to get summery! :beetle: :sunflower: :herb:

You know the drill. Find, photograph, post, claim your points! I will update league tables at regular-ish intervals to keep the #competition hot.

Animals must be wild (reserves/managed habitats are fine)
Plants must be in flower (if I’ve messed up flowering times for any let me know)

Photos don’t need to be of any quality as long as something is broadly visible and you’re sure it’s what you’re claiming for. I reserve the right not to award points if I think you’re pushing it though. Photos from before the start of the challenge (20 June) won’t be counted.

You have until 31 August to get your entries in. Good luck

Our top three finishers will win an enamel RSPB pin badge (you can pick if you like)! Prizes for previous challenges are finally on their way to those who have claimed them.

And here’s our list! Have made it a bit trickier this time, but you have over two months to get your entries in :slight_smile:

Number Item Points
1 Clover 5
2 Seaweed 10
3 Lime tree 15
4 Mallard 20
5 Footpath post or waymarker 25
6 Teasel 30
7 Complete seashell 35
8 Honeysuckle 40
9 Gull or tern 45
10 Poppy 50
11 Lavender 55
12 Bird bath 60
13 Moorhen 65
14 Heather 70
15 Bulrush 75
16 Foxglove 80
17 Peacock butterfly 85
18 Weeping willow 90
19 Beetle 95
20 Iris 100
21 Hart’s Tongue Fern 110
22 Water lily 120
23 Swift 130
24 Heron 140
25 Dragonfly or Damselfly 150
26 Starfish 160
27 Curlew 170
28 Seal 180
29 Mustelid (e.g. badger, weasel, otter) 190
30 Snake or lizard 200

Let’s get snapping! :camera_flash:

16 Likes

I’ve got pretty much guaranteed seals in July. Do I get 180 points per seal?

I’m hoping for orcas too, presume I’m declared outright champion for one of those alone?

2 Likes

No and no but pictures of multiple seals and orcas area highly encouraged.

3 Likes

6 Likes

As with last time +5 for first entry :partying_face:

3 Likes

Better pic

4 Likes

Going to the seaside for a few days in August so should even be able to get some of the coastal things for once!

2 Likes

5 Likes

SLOW DOWN MATE! You’re going to be dead bored come August :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

On the walk to my daughter’s school open afternoon.

1 Like

I mean, I could post the herring gull photo I got, but I’m gonna wait for another, better, opportunity

2 Likes

Haha just tallied it up and I saw 16 of these last week when I was in Dorset! I’d still like to have a little go at this though…

5 Likes

Looking forward to getting involved, tool a quick break from work to get an early start thanks to the garden starting to bloom.

Bonus bee on poppy, but that was from yesterday.

8 Likes

Have a couple of our newly planted lavenders to start me off

Also does the bird bath need to feature a bird…?

8 Likes

Looks like @robstation01 might have some challengers to his title going by the early entries. Will get on to this once I’ve worked out what some of these plants are.

@urbanfox I am envious of both your bird-bath and your wee dog.

2 Likes

Let’s open this challenge with

Poppy

and this intruder who flew in a few hours ago

9 Likes

We even have birds that visit this garden, so hopefully it finally gets some use (other than the dog drinking from it)

2 Likes

I’ve taken some great pics of snakes and lizards here in the past, hopefully they don’t elude me now like those damn hares!

2 Likes

Amazing work guys!

@urbanfox no bird required!
@BodyInTheThames that beetle picture! :hushed:

3 Likes

5 Likes