Super fast "self improvement"

A couple of months back I re-read The Great Gatsby, and I realised, thanks to my Kindle’s “time left in book” feature, that it really does take only a couple of hours to read it. And it got me thinking, it only takes a couple of hours to read and absorb an amazing book, to go from being someone who hasn’t read The Great Gatsby to being someone who has. That’s amazing! And then I started thinking about all the other things you could do in a couple of hours - classic albums you could listen to, films you could watch, topics you can learn about.

If someone had a couple of free hours, what one thing would you recommend for them to do in the quest for self-improvement*?

*I use that term for lack of anything else - I don’t think having read TGG makes you better than someone who hasn’t or anything, I’m not trying to approach it from a snobbish point of view - I guess I just mean expanding your horizons, or trying something new or meaningful. You could say go for a walk or have a nap and that’s cool too

Don’t think anything pivotal or life-changing has happened to me since I have become an adult so I don’t know if I can recommend anything.

I got a huge amount out of the free sessions on the headspace meditation app. I was finding that switching my attention between tasks was tough. And it was especially difficult to have something interrupted by one of the kids - which was not their fault whatsoever. Doing the sessions of that for ten minutes a day made it so much less stressful to switch my attention which had a massive knock on effect for me

3 Likes

Eat a sack of easy peelers

7 Likes

I tried Headspace once and found that whenever I sat down to meditate I would just burst out laughing - I felt kind of ridiculous just sat on my own in the quiet? Probably something to work through…

M won’t use it because she had a makeup job to powder the guys bald head so he didn’t reflect too much light at the cameras

1 Like

But yeah I felt ridiculous to start with.

If you want to read a great short book, I’d suggest The Old Man and the Sea by Hemingway

4 Likes

do a yoga class and you can say youre a yoga person

2 Likes

take a laptop to starbucks. you are now an entrepreneur

2 Likes

That’s not an improvement

i gots some sweet motivational memes that say otherwise

2 Likes

Say please or thank you once and you are instantly a “polite person”

4 Likes

Simply clean up once after toilet and you can say with confidence and certainty “I am a guy who wipes their own ass”

2 Likes

Go outside and punch the first dog you cross paths with.

2 Likes

I have read and enjoyed this but every time I think about it, I hear this quote from Hemmingway: “The sea is the sea. The old man is an old man. The boy is a boy and the fish is a fish. The shark are all sharks no better and no worse. All the symbolism that people say is shit.”

1 Like

Learn the Korean or a Cyrillic alphabet.

1 Like

lift a really heavy weight (like 200kg) and you’ll instantly get stronger and bigger muscles

4 Likes

Reckon most people could manage to do Couch to 5k, and it really only needs 90 minutes a week for nine weeks.

2 Likes

possibly the most unsettling turn of phrase on dis

1 Like