Super Furry Animals

New music midday tomorrow.

8 Likes

He introduced it around 8:07 this morning on Laurenā€™s show. He said it has the longest guitar solo he has ever done on a track. He said new album is out in May. The song sounds great!

2 Likes

New album is the latest Dinked Edition. Looks really nice!

1 Like

Videoā€™s dropped. The song is very, very Gruff Rhys, but the mastering is a bit shite. Ordinarily I complain about vocals being too high in the mix but this is soooo muddy. Also weird flex having a double-necked SG in the vid and not using bothā€¦

6 Likes

Production is by Mario C
I thought the video would look like the image from further up the thread. I like the song. Wish it had a bit of harmony/backing vox.
Song sounds like Steely Dan too.

its nice but a bit long. Wouldnā€™t suffer from having 90 seconds chopped off.

This always blows my kind. Mononeon does it, but his style on bass sort of makes it make sense.

Yer man from Doves does it with bass as well but I canā€™t remember if he does the same with guitar or not

1 Like

He does!

1 Like

Iā€™m not much of guitarist but what would be the reason for this? Surely you could just restring the right way? am I being really stupid hereā€¦

Here we go! Weā€™re a guest Dinked store for this limited edition release of @gruffingtonpost 's brand new LP ā€œSeeking New Godsā€ on @RoughTradeRecs . Itā€™s very limited so get your orders in quickly!
https://t.co/Dsos73Y0gB

#gruffrhys #seekingnewgods #dinked #vinyl #LimitedEdition https://twitter.com/diversevinyl/status/1371430988757135360/photo/1

Pre-order of dunked edition available from these GBOLs.

Not sure if Gruff or someone else, but in one case I read about they learnt on someone elseā€™s guitar or were sharing instruments, so it was easier to learn to play that way.

1 Like

Yeah I was gonna say I presume they just self taught on someone elseā€™s guitar more than likely

1 Like

Yup.

Although he is right-handed, he learned to play left-handed on his brotherā€™s left-handed guitar.

Once his brother left home, Rhys only had access to a right-handed guitar.

As he had already learned to play left-handed, and rather than invert the nut and re-string it, he taught himself to play the right-handed guitar upside down so the bass strings are on the bottom.

Today, Rhys still plays left-handed on an upside down right-handed guitar.

From
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/lifestyle/entertainment/music/rocktalk/885717/its-a-great-surprise-to-me-ive-made-a-living-as-a-guitarist-it-was-never-the-plan-says-super-furry-animals-maverick-gruff-rhys-ahead-of-tae-sup-wi-a-fifer-headline/amp/

1 Like

Wow I had no idea heā€™s actually right handed as well, thereā€™s another twist to the whole thing

1 Like

In Mononeonā€™s case, itā€™s easier for his style of play having the strings the other way around. If you watch him play you want to try it yourself, but would inevitably still be shit in comparison.

1 Like
2 Likes

Donā€™t normally like Gruffā€™s solo stuff but thatā€™s good stuff.

1 Like

New Gruff albumā€™s a bit good isnā€™t it? Got the Dinked Edition and itā€™s absolutely lovely.

Ordered mine from Resident and it arrived today with some Gruff doodles on the mailer (including a nice ā€˜thank you spiritofjazzā€™) which I thought was a nice touch

4 Likes

Always mixed emotions when thereā€™s a new Gruff album as I always just wish it was an SFA album instead. Havenā€™t really given the last few much time as found his solo output consistent but a bit samey. Gave this one a run , enjoyed Hiking in Lightning and Distant Snowy Peaks on first listen.

3 Likes