Super Furry Animals

Oh man I wish I could have seen that, but that seems like a fair final.

Donā€™t want to sound like a sore loser but Ice Hockey Hair was robbed in that

It blew me away when it came out, but I wasnā€™t really an SFA fan at that point. For many years, I wouldā€™ve considered it the greatest album of all time, but Iā€™ve kind of burned out my desire to listen to it at this point. I also wish theyā€™d stop playing the hits from RatW and Phantom Power at their live shows and start playing some stuff off the albums that came after them, even if the fans complainā€¦cuz if youā€™re a fan you should be tired of hearing some of those hits for the 200th time by now.

My first album was Guerrilla, which I bought on a whim, and was too uneven for me at the time. I love it now, though.

1 Like

Not sure Iā€™ll ever get tired of hearing Run Christian Run live.

5 Likes

Yeah, I went with Ice Hockey Hair.

Slow Life is great, obviously but it feels like itā€™s become their de facto Best Song, which is something I canā€™t really get on board with. I could probably name at least half a dozen others that would get my vote over it.

Run Christian Run! got dropped from their sets after the Phantom Power tour, so thatā€™s not really the kind of song I mean. I agree itā€™s phenomenal live; one of their best. Iā€™m tired of the whole ā€œHello Sunshine,ā€ ā€œGolden Retriever,ā€ ā€œJuxtaposed With Uā€ sequence. They donā€™t really play those songs with any feeling, so that adds to my weariness of those songs. ā€œSlow Lifeā€ also doesnā€™t really come off that great live, though itā€™s awesome the first couple times you experience it. Wish theyā€™d do something new with it like they do with ā€œMountain Peopleā€ and TMDGAF. I understand why they rely so much on backing tracks, but some of the songs really drown in Cianā€™s laptop/sequencer to the detriment of the song.

1 Like

Agree with Guerilla itā€™s a bit clunky and uneven but thatā€™s part of the charm, the way it is just all over the place.

If they ever do another album, I hope it sounds a lot like 50+ minutes of that newer Mountain People outroā€¦ Spacey, electronic, repetitive, chunky psychedelic sounds. Think Gruff & Co. donā€™t have the same knack for pop that they did when they were younger, but they have some interesting sounds in them.

The album show was the most fun Iā€™ve had at an SFA gig since about 2005, and they seemed into it as well, so it might be they start dropping in more ā€˜nicheā€™ songs into their sets.

They still finished with Mountain People / MDGAF, but at least before that there was Torra Fy Ngwallt Yn Hir, Bass tuned to DEAD and Download.

2 Likes

I donā€™t mind them closing with Mountain People and TMDGAF. Those songs are two of their best and they always seem to evolve. I actually think Mountain People was gone from their sets for a pretty long time. Would love to hear the last track from Mwng live someday; I know they were doing it when they first re-formed.

Surprised Slow Life won that, itā€™s not bad but Iā€™ve never considered it anywhere near their best.

I canā€™t really look past God! Show Me Magic for their best song.

Iā€™m not in to reissues all I will say is this.

Super Gurry Animals are criminally underrated: they have some of the best melodic sounds since the Beach Boys.

FURRY

The Furry Boys.

Oh my, listen to what putrid Chris Martin throws in at 00:45

ā€œPutridā€ indeed. Thatā€™s really quite lovely.

1 Like

As much as I donā€™t like Coldplay I have to admit that IYDWMTDY is actually a really good choice for Chris Martinā€™s singing voice. He just went up in my estimationā€¦ a bit

3 Likes

ā€œPutridā€ was a bit unkind. I appreciate Chris showing some love for SFA, even if it was opportunistic love. Then again, the crowd barely reacted.

Heā€™d have been better off quoting some MSP lyrics. Canā€™t see much of a SFA / Coldplay fan crossoverā€¦