Supergrass

He was always in or around of the band. I mean, he’s a pearly-king playing the piano in the Alright video. What I meant was the Diamond Hoo Ha man cover is the first time I can remember him being in an actual photo of the band.

Having a closer look at the Life On Other Planets cover, I think he’s there too, but he never seemed to be in any press-shots throughout their career.

1 Like

Looking into whether he played on any earlier tracks with them has lead me to this from the Sun Hits The Sky single :joy:

3 Likes

I have that on CD single somewhere. Of all the Smiths songs to cover…

1 Like

I guess it’s one of the ones that’s more in keeping with Supergrass as a band. Would be very odd hearing them have a bash at Reel Around The Fountain.

Had to check, but I thought it was originally released on a Queen Is Dead covers album. It appears I had remembered correctly:

1 Like

And now I really want to hear Therapy?'s take on “Vicar In A Tutu”

2 Likes

Amazing!

2 Likes

Love Supergrass. Up there with my all time favourites. I think every album except Diamond Hoo Ha is brilliant. 4th grossly overlooked.

Anyway, I fondly remember listening to this in my youth. Off the Richard III single, obviously recording the Sometimes I Make You Sad bit.

4 Likes

I always meant to check that album out at the time. Wasn’t really a big Smiths fan but liked a lot of the acts who got involved.

I think I bought the NME’s C96 compilation instead :slight_smile:

This is an absolutely perfect description. Same for I’d Like To Know, and a lot of the debut. So much energy on that album.

3 Likes

Ruby Trax was always my go-to NME compilation. A double CD ranging from the shit (EMF - Shaddap You Face, Fatima Mansions - Everything I Do) to the hilarious (Vic Reeves - Vienna) to the sublime (Suede - Brass In Pocket, Marc Almond - Like A Prayer)

Think '96 was after my time with the NME.

1 Like

Anyway, back to Supergrass, I played the self-titled album yesterday. Bang after bang after bang. That harpsichord outro on “Your Love”! swoon

1 Like

I had this one too. Fatima Mansions was far from shit though! Would agree that EMF managed to do the impossible in making Shaddap You Face even worse - sounds like it was recorded in three minutes.

Senseless Things cover of Apache, The Fall’s Xanadu and, yes, Vic’s tales of the Belgian police are the ones I got to most regularly.

I love Inspiral Carpets version of Tainted Love.

1 Like

First of theirs I bought and probably still my favourite. I’ve had I Should Coco on in the car today though and it sounds huge compared to how I remember it! As mentioned above, the opening 1-2 is so excitingly manic - The levels tipping the red throughout.

Always thought the self titled one was quite boring and plodding, definitely consider it their worst (from someone who hasn’t heard Diamond Hoo Ha Man tbf)

I find the 1-2 of Shotover Hill and Eon really beautiful. The singles are banging, too.

1 Like

Interviewer: Any regrets Gaz?
Gaz: Maybe

1 Like

Was thinking about this earlier. Used to listen to it loads. He does a massive snot at some point if i recall correctly

The Drums on Lenny! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes