Supermarket bakeries

Big fan, generally.

Co-op (NOT A SUPERMARKET etc): good cinnamon swirls, excellent maple pecan plaits, but let down by their embarrassingly poor jam doughnuts

Tesco: the undisputed jam doughnut champion, and the tiffin slab lives up to its highly appealing name, but anything with flakey pastry is quite poor

Sainsbury’s: pretty average all round. A safe bet, not no standouts.

Any other opinions?

1 Like

I’m in favour of them

Controversial

The nicest smelling places in town

4 Likes

Waitrose - very good but too spenny to be hitting up regularly. A great treat

2 Likes

Living together in harmony

Morrisons do a lot of seasonally themed gingerbread and biscuits and they’re very nice. Their bakery pasties are the only good supermarket pasties. Doughnuts are a 5/10 from there though.

2 Likes

waitrose have some good bits

got a portugese tart thing with raspberries in to eat when I finish my crisps

Sometimes have the cheese and chilli slices from Lidl

Feel like you’re wasting your time with the savoury options and should probably go to Greggs instead.

Lidls is the best. Great bread, great pastries, great cookies and FANTASTIC prices.
29p for a croissant? Yes please.
M&S also do very good bakery items but they are overpriced. £1.99 for a croissant! V buttery and delicious though.

8 Likes

Great places. My opinion though is that you should rob from them because the self service checkouts aren’t as sophisticated as our brains. Great places

10 Likes

Sainsbury’s >> Co-op > Tesco, imo. Haven’t had any from Lidl.

1 Like

You appear to have omitted the cheese straw from your Co-op list. This delicacy puts all other supermarket baked goods to shame.

I have some respect for Tesco’s staunch refusal to pretend their bakery is a twee village simulacrum. They’re just like:

“NO. GAZE IN HORROR AT THE DYSTOPIAN NIGHTMARE WE’VE BUILT AND ENJOY SOME DELICIOUS CHOCOLATE CHIP BRIOCHE.”

8 Likes

oh hey and also here i go again about morrisons brownies right and what you can do is you can heat them up in the microwave and bung em in a bowl of vanilla ice cream and oh my GOD readers it really is a marvel to behold i mean really

2 Likes

Tezzas do a cranberry and nut and raisin loaf that is so so good I can’t buy it anymore

13/10, these. nothing comes close. always squeeze them to work out the best ones.

7 Likes

The squeeze is very important

5 Likes

Mozzas did these Stollen cookie at Christmas that were very good. Oh and the co-op sticky toffee pudding cookies deserve a mention.