Supermarket Etiquette

You realise as you approach the till that you don’t need one of he items you have picked up along the way.

• You return to where you picked it up and place it neatly back where it belongs.
  • You ask a member of staff to take it from you.
  • If it’s a refrigerated item you ensure that it goes in a fridge, but otherwise leave it on any nearby surface.
  • You put it down on the nearest available surface regardless of what it is.
  • You buy it because it’s too late now and you don’t want to make a scene.
  • You put it in your jacket, the buzz of the steal arousing you slightly.
  • You throw it against the wall and scream at someone to clean it up.

0 voters

Used to work in a supermarket didn’t I so I’m reasonably militant on this point.

You know in Crocodile Dundee when he lobs that can at that blokes head from quite a distance (rhetorical question, of course you do). Well I do that but to the old lady at the baccy counter.

5 Likes

Am I in the queue? If not, I return it to where it belongs. If so, I give it to the cashier or just buy it anyway to avoid embarrassment.

4 Likes

Depends if you’re already in the queue or not. Normally would put back in its rightful place, but if I’m two from the front of a Lidl mega-queue, it’s being put somewhere inconvenient sorry.

1 Like

Yesterday I purchased some Riesen chocolate chews from a corner shop with cash. I handed over the amount in pound coins but then remembered that I have a coin operated electric meter so asked if I could give him a note instead, then he gave me the coins back and the change from the note but I declined the change because I’m an idiot who forgot that the coins he gave me weren’t change leaving me five pounds down. I realised this almost immediately upon exiting the shop but did NOT return to get my cash as a result of sheepishness.

2 Likes

The person ahead of you in the queue reveals to the cashier that they don’t have a loyalty card when asked as they’re about to pay. Do you

• Interject and ask if anyone minds if you use your own loyalty card.
  • Stealthily scan your loyalty card under the designated loyalty card scanner, hoping no-one will notice.
  • Explain in depth the benefits of loyalty cards to your fellow shopper.
  • Do nothing and lament the wasted points.
  • Do nothing because you don’t have a capitalism card m9
  • Do nothing because you were too busy thinking about yourself to notice the entire exchange.
  • Do nothing because you can’t cope with the stress of unnecessary social interaction.

0 voters

Mate.

2 Likes

When you’ve received change from the cashier

• Take the change and move aside immediately. sort it out in your own time
  • Stuff it into pocket quickly and move aside.
  • Meticulously place the change in your wallet or purse, ask for a receipt, maybe check your phone for a bit, and then move aside.

0 voters

You are not in the queue. Please feel free to make a similar poll from the queue perspective.

Yes?

You notice a couple of likely lads lifting a few bottles of wine from the booze aisle

• Offer them advice on how to avoid the cameras/guards
  • Say nothing and do nothing
  • Say nothing to them but alert a member of staff
  • Confront and admonish them yourself

0 voters

couple of grasses in here!

7 Likes

Checking small change is a surefire sign of someone whose life isn’t going to plan.

So long as the notes are there, i’m alright. If someone wants to risk their job to relieve me of a quid then they’re welcome to it.

5 Likes

I’ve always wanted to hurl someone into some shelves full of wine bottles. Seems the perfect time to do it.

This has happened to me, and I kind of did (A).

I told them that they being silly as they were doing it in full view of the cameras and that the bottles were security tagged.

1 Like

And proud.

Abandon chippy retort

yeah, I remembered a time about five years ago when I told a couple of scamps that there was a security guard wandering around so ‘be careful eh’ with a wink.

forgotten to buy something

• ask a member of staff to get it
  • ask another queuer to hold your place while you go and get it
  • go and get it and forfeit your place
  • leave it

0 voters

Run furiously to grab it before the person before me has finished going through the till.

9 Likes