Surplus download code disposal

Okay @bornin69x is correct in terms of this download. Here’s from someone in the industry:

At the core of it, you are allowed to [give away the download] but we’d rather you didn’t

So it’s down to your conscience

1 Like

But they would rather one person bought the vinyl and gave the download to his friend than both listening to it on Spotify, I bet.

That’s a weird alternative you’ve created there.

They’d rather both of you bought your own copy, obviously. You know, like music fans are traditionally expected to?

Of course they would. But those are not the only two options, as you well know.

My point (obviously) is that people using streaming services don’t question their morality, but in fact the music industry makes far more money if even one in two of us buys the physical product instead (even if they chose to give their download coupon to someone else). All of your moralising about the disposal of the surplus download code holds up only if the only alternative is both people buying the physical product. However much the music industry might like us to be, we are not living in 1990 any more.

I’m very strongly opposed to illegal downloading, I don’t do it and I don’t condone it. I do object to you equating what is going on in this stream to that. That is all.

They would also rather you bought the CD first hand a not second hand like a large chunk of people do. You could argue that they have lost a direct purchase for that. Given the the CD has almost certainly been ripped.

I don’t really by into the moral argument against sharing codes. The music has been bought the code is part of the transaction. It has funded the band. Honestly I also have little sympathy for recored labels its not like they havent spent years scamming the shit out of artists. Times are now leaner for them so they are now being defended far more then they are worth.

On top of that its not like people here are finding artists they were about to go out and buy here. Just music they quite fancy the look of. I do believe you should by CDs of artists you like to promote those artists and encourage the A&R men to invest in them rather then keep on playing it safe. But the download code method is different to illegal downloading or even tape ripping as its not a copy and has actually been part of a transaction. There is no duplicating going on.

If someone got a free download when ordering a CD and then sold the CD no one would think that immoral. So why do people have a problem when its the other way round?

Then the option that pays the band most is one of you buys it and the other continues to stream off Spotify?

I’m not really clear what you’re arguing here. Copying the MP3s from the download and giving them away is bad but just giving away the download code is fine?

Again, the basis of this thread seems to be that everyone is a music fan who spends a lot on artists so I don’t get why anyone seeks to imply this is a totally cool thing to do and somehow separate from giving away MP3s of music you own obtained in any other way?

I’m not claiming to have never given friends music like this. I’m pointing out I don’t feel good about that and there were specific reasons, and I don’t seek to justify it via a thread on DiS.

Everyone would have a problem with that.

depends on the label though obv. plenty of indie labels don’t scam the shit out of their bands

1 Like

citation needed

I say shut it down. If you wanna steal music it’s easy enough to do. Nowt legit about this thread.

2 Likes

Looking forward to your protest outside Oxfam.

But seriously, are you suggesting people have an issue with selling CDs second hand?

1 Like

If you’ve bought it you own it and you can do what you like with it (except make a copy of it or charge people to listen to it). Everything else is fine. You can sell it, give it away or keep it. The record industry doesn’t have the right to change the rights you have in relation to your own property.

It’s cos if we listen to it digital it’s on a streaming service

1 Like

Err if you sell it that’s fine. If you keep a copy and sell it that isn’t morally okay. It doesn’t matter which part is ‘free’ in the purchase

Glad we’ve got you to tell us what is moral and immoral. Maybe you can engrave these rules on stone tablets for us.

Nah I thought I’d just rely on your common sense, tbh

oh boy

Are you actually a lawyer? How do you have time to post on here?

1 Like

Guarantee you many who sell or give away their CDs do not deleted the ripped file on their PC when they do so.

I’m a very poor bloke who gets many CDs from his local library. Costs me a small fee to rent them out the I rip the copy onto my pc and give them back.

I’m not sure where I legally stand here. But would you have a moral issue with this? I’m subsidising local library costs and have access to materials I wouldn’t otherwise have access to were it not for libraries