Surprisingly good live acts

For when you caught an artist at a festival / before a gig etc and they exceeded your expectations.

Saw the Kaiser Chiefs at Lollapalooza Berlin 2016 and had an absolute riot, grinning the whole time.

2 Likes

It seems weird to mention AC/DC here, but I’m not even remotely bothered about their music… yet when I saw them live it was one of the best gigs I’ve ever seen.

2 Likes

Who could’ve predicted that?

65 Likes

The Proclaimers are a really decent live band.

3 Likes

Editors

5 Likes

I like them on record but when I saw the Manics at Wembley Arena a couple of years ago they were superb. Reckon they’re a perfect band to see live - got a few songs that you love, plenty of other hits to sing along to and they’re guaranteed to play some lesser known tracks/duffers, which makes toilet/bar breaks a lot more enjoyable knowing you’re not missing out

7 Likes

Was at a festival queueing for a piss and The Charlatans were playing on a nearby stage, ended up going and watching the full set. Properly brilliant.

2 Likes

I had this experience with the Charlatans at Glastonbury 2002

2 Likes

interesting, they were a surprise opener at a Glastonbury I was at and I thought they were shockingly boring. when they played How High, a song I really like, it was woeful

1 Like

Electric Six’s 10 year anniversary show for Fire is one of my all time favourite gigs. Didn’t catch them by accident but they exceeded expectations. I was very drunk which may or may not have played a part

3 Likes

Papa Roach at Download were much better than they had any right to be

Oh, also remember I got dragged to a Paul Weller gig about two years ago and was blown away by how good it was. Banger after banger.

Did you choose to watch them?

Or was it a Last Resort?

10 Likes

Charlotte Church’s Late Night Pop Dungeon

9 Likes

Always assumed Tim was a terrible live singer for some reason.

Saw the old Mumford’s at the brudenell in Leeds.

Proper happy atmosphere and the band nailed it

Junior Senior.

Saw them at Reading 2003, either before or after Cave In on the main stage.

That said, I’ve just watched the footage on YouTube and it wasn’t particularly impressive. Maybe you had to be there, or maybe I was just on loads of poppers or something.

4 Likes

I was at that! They were great.

2 Likes

seem to remember Thirty Seconds To Mars putting a good show on at Leeds Fest in 2011, they did well of making it a big spectacle but also getting the audience involved

Always found British sea power fine if not amazing on record, but saw them at a festival and they were absolutely fantastic. Came away from it absolutely bouncing.

4 Likes