Swans - in context of last year's allegation (trigger warning)

I still don’t think that means we should be apathetic when stuff does come to light though? Just because there is other stuff which is hidden or we’ve missed.

I agree - @kiyonemakibi was saying that it’s up to the individual which must be the right answer. I don’t think there’s a should/shouldn’t answer, really.

1 Like

As a fan of Kantian ethics, I’m committed to there being objective moral truths…

Of course, we don’t have the objective facts here to base the judgement off of, hence my confusion on the topic.

You stupid Kant

1 Like

HomeRun.gif

I know this is insensitive given the subject but this thread title is pretty funny if you pretend this isn’t a music forum

6 Likes

I know it shouldn’t have, but this has done me :grinning:

Revisiting this thread because it’s increasingly relevant (due to Matt Mondanile…but I reckon we’ll hear about more in the coming weeks).

Currently trying to work out where I stand with things like FlyLo (sorry, haven’t got a link, but he basically misappropriated the word “rape”…and defended the Gaslamp Killer).

On a side note i found it notable that charles cohen died a couple of weeks back and doesn’t seem to have been mourned at all. Barely a mention of it.

FlyLo often gets a bit #problematic. I kind of understand his instinct to defend his mate, but he can’t know what’s went down and should probably stay out of it

1 Like

I’ve been toying with a broader thread on the notion of separating art from artist, although I’ve realised I’d basically be re-hashing my OP from here. Still not touched a Swans record since all this came out FWIW.

3 Likes

Me neither

1 Like

This is the first I’ve heard of that, which is weird, seems like the kind of thing that I’ve had heard mention of on twitter or some of the usual sites.

here:

https://community.drownedinsound.com/t/harvey-weinstein-sexual-harrassment-claims/18762/316?u=severed799

Yeah, agree with a lot of what you’ve said there.

I’m just wondering about in terms of the OP…I also haven’t listened to Swans in the intervening time…but I’m trying to work out myself where I draw the line. Can’t defend what FlyLo has done…but at the moment it doesn’t feel enough to taint his work yet (disclaimers: 1) it’s easy for me to say as someone not directly impacted by his language 2) the fact that I really like his music definitely comes into play, also)

1 Like

Yeah it’s tough, I certainly think less of him as a result but he’s, for all we know, just said something awful rather than done something awful. Is that the line? I dunno.

I dunno i think flylo has a history of saying some sketchy things. Hslf expected him to mouth off sbout glk at some point

Swans probably just sit outside my top 10 artists. The Seer would be in my top 10 of the decade. That’s not enough for me to listen to them again. Not saying your approach on an artist in different circumstances is wrong - just some context on my own decision.

The song Larkin Grimm wrote which directly tackles this is worth listening to. It’s beautiful and heartbreaking (her album this year which contains that song is pretty damn good, in fact).

Jarboe has a new EP launch in london next week. Anyone going?

Re: FlyLo. Not really sure there’s much substance to this comment, but ehh

“I wanted to sincerely apologize for my comments at my show. I realize they were insensitive. This is a tough time for all of us, as men and women. I’m having trouble finding my voice in all of this. I am truly heartbroken. My stage has always been a place for what’s in my heart until now. I feel as internet wielding people we have to learn to give each other space to feel, to honor each other’s reactions and experiences without bullying. I care about this community and its impact so much.”