Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

‘I Believe in You’ from Spirit of Eden is one of my favorite songs ever. Just beautiful.

1 Like

I know what you mean! When I wasn’t sure if you had listened to them or not I was tempted to type “if the voice doesn’t bother you.” I think the voice works quite well because it adds a sort of unnerving quality to it all. It is grating but not enough to be a negative.

Looking forward to whatever they do next, I’d be surprised if they didn’t release something next year.

hope you enjoy - i’d be surprised if you didn’t

It’s beautiful isn’t it? It feels so still and intimate.

I wasn’t aware of it until a few years ago, but it’s as perfect as the latter Talk Talk material.

I’d heard they were recording, so hopefully there’ll be something soon!

You know what mates, I don’t know that I’ve ever heard a note of Talk Talk. I’m gonna get some music this weekend, might give this shit a whirl.

(If it turns out to be gash, I will look for you, I will find you and I will kill you.)

just throwing out a Bark Psychosis comparison because they’re much better than TNP.

one of the greatest albums ever, maaaaaaan

obligatory mention for the Mark Hollis solo album too

1 Like

The “New Grass” drums on “Rabbit in Your Headlights” was always one of my favourite samples…

Definitely. For me, I only listen to the last two records if I have a chunk of time and a nice setup to listen loudly and intentively.

CoS I can pick and chose tracks for inclusion in random playlists, but I don’t love the album any less for it. Find it just as perfect as the other two, really, just less reverent and expansive.

1 Like

Bang on.

I’ma big fan of This Heat and Camberwell Now, and have seen Charles Hayward live, but I’ve never really dug into his back-catalogue. Will get on that.

Similarly I only know the more famous bits of Robert Wyatt’s back catalogue, so cheers for the recommendation.

So, turns out this is great, and does have a really similar vibe. Excellent.

I only got round to listening to them this week. got spirit of eden. it is good. not sure what took me so long

Hmmm… interm-eresting. SO MUCH MUSIC TO LISTEN TO.

Talk Talk. One of those bands I paid NO attention to. Then, on tour with several bands, the sound techs all seemed to use Talk Talk tracks to test the PA in all manner of venues. Given that the sound was ALWAYS amazing, I began to accept, yep, they must be good. Been listening to them ever since. Haven’t been disappointed yet X

I got given a copy of Deceit in the mid-80s. Took me ages to listen to it. So glad I finally bothered. This Heat were, are, scary-good. Camberwell Now were boss too X

This album is the first that I heard from the band, and they quickly became one of my favorites. It was a treat to work backwards from this, through to The Colour Of Spring. No one could have possibly predicted what they became over the course of their career. Essential listening, indeed.

I think New Grass is one of a handful of songs that can make me cry for no reason just about every time I hear it.

3 Likes