Talk Talk - Laughing Stock

obligatory mention for the Mark Hollis solo album too

1 Like

The “New Grass” drums on “Rabbit in Your Headlights” was always one of my favourite samples

Definitely. For me, I only listen to the last two records if I have a chunk of time and a nice setup to listen loudly and intentively.

CoS I can pick and chose tracks for inclusion in random playlists, but I don’t love the album any less for it. Find it just as perfect as the other two, really, just less reverent and expansive.

1 Like

Bang on.

I’ma big fan of This Heat and Camberwell Now, and have seen Charles Hayward live, but I’ve never really dug into his back-catalogue. Will get on that.

Similarly I only know the more famous bits of Robert Wyatt’s back catalogue, so cheers for the recommendation.

So, turns out this is great, and does have a really similar vibe. Excellent.

I only got round to listening to them this week. got spirit of eden. it is good. not sure what took me so long

Hmmm
 interm-eresting. SO MUCH MUSIC TO LISTEN TO.

Talk Talk. One of those bands I paid NO attention to. Then, on tour with several bands, the sound techs all seemed to use Talk Talk tracks to test the PA in all manner of venues. Given that the sound was ALWAYS amazing, I began to accept, yep, they must be good. Been listening to them ever since. Haven’t been disappointed yet X

I got given a copy of Deceit in the mid-80s. Took me ages to listen to it. So glad I finally bothered. This Heat were, are, scary-good. Camberwell Now were boss too X

This album is the first that I heard from the band, and they quickly became one of my favorites. It was a treat to work backwards from this, through to The Colour Of Spring. No one could have possibly predicted what they became over the course of their career. Essential listening, indeed.

I think New Grass is one of a handful of songs that can make me cry for no reason just about every time I hear it.

3 Likes

I know it’s been almost a year, but this post has given me some stuff to inwestigate (though it is late). Been interested in This Heat and Robert Wyatt to varying extents for a while, so it’s good to have a coupla pointers here.

tips hat

1 Like

Going to listen to this on my morning commute now.

2 Likes

There’s a Talk Talk tribute band playing a local venue here in a few months’ time. I love Talk Talk. Should I go?

Woah woah woah. There’s a Talk Talk tribute band?! Do they cover their whole run or a specific period? What are they called?

I mean, Mark Hollis clearly isn’t going to get the band back together, so seeing some of those songs live would be amazing, but without his voice I can’t help but think it would be disappointing even if the music was perfect. It’s a dilemma.

It’s this TALK TALK TRIBUTE - LAUGHING STOCK - Komedia Brighton

It sounds like they cover a wide range of their stuff but I’m not sure if Talk Talk are appropriate cover band material. I haven’t seen many cover bands but don’t the singers usually dress like the original singer and have the same haircut and similar mannerisms etc. and it just sounds like it could be a little naff and inappropriate for a band as earnest as Talk Talk.

Listening to Laughing Stock right now. It’s a perfect day for it; all Autumnal colours outside and thick (but not bleak) clouds

If I was in a Talk Talk tribute band, I’d be so tempted to name it British Telecom

5 Likes