Talk to me about Croatia, please

I’m thinking about going to Croatia for my holidays. Perhaps travelling from Split to Dubrovnik along the coast and taking in some of the islands. Any recommendations (other than “buy a guide book”)?

Go to Stari Grad on Hvar island. It’s a dream.

1 Like

Croatia, officially the Republic of Croatia, is a country at the crossroads of Central and Southeast Europe, on the Adriatic Sea. It borders Slovenia to the northwest, Hungary to the northeast, Serbia to the east, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Montenegro to the southeast, sharing a maritime border with Italy.

4 Likes

I was about to make a glib reply about owning an atlas too there, but then remembered the one I’ve got was published in the 1980s so doesn’t actually contain this information.

3 Likes

Have never been, but would hunt Spomeniks if I did.

3 Likes

That’s really interesting, thank you!

I’m going tomorrow, I’ll get back to you.

1 Like

Had a great holiday a few years back flying to Dubrovnik, spending a few days there exploring the city and a couple of the nearby islands. Then we got a coach to Sarajevo, which is about 5 hours I think and spent a few days there. Sarajevo is incredible - good food, coffee, nice old town, lots of history, not too expensive.

I don’t know how easy it would be to get there in it’s own right, so it’s a good opportunity to build it into a holiday somewhere easily accessible without much hassle.

Then we got the coach back to Dubrovnik to fly home.

1 Like

Thanks! I’d quite like to go to Sarajevo, too, but realistically I don’t think I’ll have time on this occasion as I’ll only be going for 4 or 5 days. Perhaps another time.

1 Like

I visited Croatia 12 years ago. We spent four days in Split and also visited some Islands, then got the overnight ferry down to Dubrovnik getting there for 9am the next morning, where we spent another four days. We had our own room on the boat so we could sleep.

It worked out really well travelling overnight.

1 Like

It’s definitely spectacular but between massive cruise ships and Game of Thrones tourism, Dubrovnik is completely overrun to the point of unpleasantness - the old city is so small it’s completely overcrowded.

We stayed on an island nearby and did a bunch of boat tours and sea kayaking and that sort of thing, all very pleasant, if sort of generically Mediterranean. I hear Split has a lot more going on.

1 Like

I’ve only been to Pula but it was stunning. Lots of nice Roman ruins, by the sea and the olive oil museum was surprising interesting.

3 Likes

I found Split to be overcrowded from all the cruise ships dumping everyone there for the day and a fairly generic touristy old European city. Fucked off straight back to the islands to continue relaxing.

2 Likes

So, to summarize: Islands

1 Like

First update: arrived in torrential rain, hasn’t really let up. Forecast for at least 2 more days of this. Approximately 100% of locals have told us this is highly unusual. Fantastic.

Of the coastal cities, I enjoyed Zadar the most. Cheaper and less busy than Split or Dubrovnik, but still loads to do, plenty of history and access to nice islands.

Not on the coast, but 100% worth a visit, is Plitvice Lakes National Park. I went to Iguazu Falls a few years back, and I would say I enjoyed Plitvice more. It’s probably my favourite national park in Europe :+1:

1 Like

I bloody loved Split. There was a great cheese and wine place. I can’t remember what it’s called. Is this helpful?

1 Like