Tapes

we didn’t have a working TV from like… '92-'96

so me and my sister (but especially me) got into taping songs off the radio. didn’t stop doing it until 2003, tbh

was pretty exciting when you’d been waiting to catch a certain song and it came on, and you got it pretty much at the intro

also I liked taping odd tunes on the Top 40? odd tunes in the lower reaches that were outside what was normal (seriously, fuck the way the charts got made so stale)

3 Likes

my big sister bought me ‘Flava’ by Peter Andre for my 7th birthday

as per my request

:man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

said it before, but me and my sister used our tape recorder to make tapes where we pretended to be kittens doing a radio show

give kids stuff to use to make things, they’re amazing

6 Likes

oh! and I have an Electric Wizard tape (I think, or maybe someone similar) that I got free with Terrorizer

is that still going? probably not. what a great magazine.

might have some exciting news on that front soon :eyes:

2 Likes

I did the same thing when playing an ambient set (and also went to the bar)

Trying to find an emoji that expresses how cute this is

3 Likes

Yeah it’s impossible to avoid tapes by DIY bands innit. I get it, they’re cheaper to make and carry to gigs etc, and I quite like how they look, but I find it very hard to deny their sound quality is probably the worst out of all of the mediums. Wish cd’s weren’t so uncool :frowning:

Last tape I got was actually pc world’s when they played in cardiff just as the 'rona hit

Pfft, alright Steely and/or Dan

If even I notice it it’s definitely really bad

1 Like

It’s kind of a shame you don’t have an equivalent for child friendly tape recorders now (unless there is such a thing) cause they were fun to use properly but also could present you with character building existential horrors, like when it started chewing up my Rosie and Jim story tape and the familiar voices were all warped and slowed down and the tape was bleeding out the cassette

3 Likes

Depends on the deck and tape. Sadly there’s only one kind of tape player mechanism still In production and it’s shit. Same with tapes, they only make bare bones copies now, none of that fancy ‘metal’ type 2 stuff or whatever it was back in the day

1 Like

:metal: Tracy Barlow :metal:

1 Like

:smiley: absolute belter of a song tbf to you though!

1 Like

Got a drawer with a few in, Sacred Bones send out mixes with their record club releases so those are normally good. I’ve got a usb cassette player that I use to record them so I can put them on an iPod though, which is less romantic but more convenient.

Always wish I got the stupidly limited Cape Wrath cassette that got put out while I was at a gig (Youthmovies, Death Institute in Manchester on their farewell tour) and had already all gone before I’d gotten in. Think @pichaelmarker got a copy? Good tape music, nice and crinkly sounding.

I’m a big fan of Institute. Like Molchat Doma too.

1 Like

I still have some from the 80s/90s and buy them occasionally. I think the last one I bought was Deerhunter’s Double Dream of Spring. Still have a tape player.

Is it possible to play music on pc and record to tape with one of these?

Hmmm not sure, I’ll dig out mine and take a look