Taste of this community?

As a complete newbie I am wondering if there is any albums/bands that are praised in this community? Or is there no general opinion?

Let’s Face It by The Mighty Mighty Bosstones

radiohead are not liked

I listened to that album before years ago. Is that it? lol

Tiger Crew generally top most polls.

That’s the only one that there’s a universal consensus on, yes.

With squidpan a close second

This sounds like a weird community. I’m intrigued.

This community is “a bit Radio 2”

Indie Schmindie, but with tentacles reaching out to pretty much anything that is good. Hip hop. experimental, hardcore, metal, whatever. But definitely a base of skinny white guys with guitars. Feel free to disagree.

There’s a broad consensus on the music of Beyonce and Los Campesinos

Hey @Wraith … First rule of a DiS thread is that you have to wait for the comedy mofos to have their say, and then you might get a sensible answer.

I don’t think there are any acts who are universally liked on here. Some of my favourites include Sufjan Stevens, Low, Caribou, Elliott Smith, Mogwai, Camera Obscura, Super Furry Animals / Gruff Rhys… and so on. All of whom are popular with DiSers. “Big name” guitar bands (Coldplay, RHCP, Foo Fighters) tend to get a hard time. Radiohead get discussed A LOT.

But tastes vary.

What music are you into?

yeah all this^

you should maybe have a look in the archive for the various favourite record of the year threads etc, always a treasure trove of stuff.

sorry meant to say that’ll give you a rather broad idea of what a lot of folk on here dig, or don’t.

Yep. 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014, 2015 - all well documented on the old boards

2006 no one died. In 2007, no one died. In 2008, no one died. In 2009, no one died. In 2010, no-one died. In 2011… someone died. In 2012, no one died. In 2013 there was the incident with the Wza. In 2014, no one died. In 2015, no one died… I mean, I could go on.

Yep

Nuts readers with record collections pal.

The general opinion is that we like a whole lot of different stuff! Typically chart stuff is probably the least represented, though big hitters like Beyonce and Carly Rae Jepson etc get their mention and occasional praise.

Some stuff that’s probably the most liked is some of the big 90s indie-rock albums. See:

Weezer - Blue album
Pavement - Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain
Radiohead - OK Computer
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Nirvana - Nevermind/In Utero
and less big but also relevant:
Elliott Smith - Either / Or
Mogwai - Young Team

I’m not even a particularly big fan of some of those, but it will probably be difficult to find a regular here who hates every one with a passion, or doesn’t love at least one of them. This is just a snapshot though, there’s plenty of love for rap, heavy angry things, and electronic stuff! Welcome to the boards, hope you enjoy it!

:scream: