Tech polls

I got the ultimate in tech POLES today. Got myself one of these:

I attached a paint roller to the end of it. Keep on getting it out and rolling things with it. Rolled the tv’s arm whilst he was on the phone.

6 Likes

I kind of hate tech these days though. I refuse to buy the absolute top end stuff because in terms of price vs performance it’s usually taking the piss and you’re well, well into diminishing returns in what you’ll get out of it. Not least because phones and computers are more or less just empty platforms for the stuff you actually want to do these days.

But that means having to research which of the good mid-range options are the best ones, except there never is a clear best option, it’s always a trade-off between feature x and feature y and then I have to think about what I want more and it’s so BORING

4 Likes

Actually can’t face that kind of research for electronics anymore. Going to be a fucking mess when I have to research all the appliances and things AT ONCE whenever I finally get to move.

1 Like

I need (well… “need”) a new tablet for similar reasons as you, but I want a 10" Android tablet and it looks like I can spend £550 minimum (!!!) for a high end one, or spend £200-£300 on something that reviews call “a bit sluggish”. I’m not spending £300 on something that’ll annoy me straight out of the box and I’m definitely not spending £550+ on something to watch Netflix on in bed. I’ve bought low end/budget tablets before and they’ve been utterly shite, and even in typing this out I’ve sapped myself of the will to do any more research into midrange options.

BORING

5 Likes

I got given my current one so didn’t have to go through it before. Really don’t want to do it now. Mostly because it grates that if I could actually move I would have no use for a tablet as I could have a tv to watch stuff in the evenings. But then I’d have to research a tv and it never ends.

Would prefer secondhand but I have no idea what a good, reliable, safe source for that is.

I got my current Macbook Air 2nd hand in a Cash Converters, it’s done me well for 2 years so far. Also got a great 2nd hand camera lens from CeX once

Oh god I’ve looked into this and it’s worse than I thought. In the £200ish range you can choose between Huawei ones that don’t support Google web services so some apps don’t work, the Amazon one that has good specs but doesn’t run the Google Play store at all, a Samsung one that’s just shit for the price because of the brand premium, or a Lenovo one that looks great except for some reason can’t run e.g. Netflix in HD.

FFS

1 Like

(BORING)

when tablets first appeared on the market I thought why bother, just use a laptop

reading this post makes me think I was right

This is a good point actually.

What are laptop screens like now, if I got a cheapish laptop would it be any decent for watching stuff on? Then I would have something for R to do school stuff on in the future too (esp. if there ends up being remote learning again), though I guess I could also have the tablet and get a keyboard for it…

I HATE THIS

my head hurts thinking about all the variables

guys
you spend too much on tech

1 Like

I’ve got these. Only pair of in ear headphones I’ve ever got on with.

2 Likes

its just tons of shit with google and uber on, boring as fuck

1 Like

I have these too, they’re a total gamechanger. Just so much handier than wired headphones - I don’t know why I spent so many years being adamantly against them!

You can also just use one of them which is super handy as I like to just have one in while I’m walking the dogs.

1 Like

Power On

Melomania Connected

1 Like

Assumptions made:

A ‘smart speaker’ is a bluetooth speaker or an Alexa. Not sure which but we have one of each so I’ve just checked it.

I don’t have WiFi headphones, I’ve got Bluetooth ones but I’ve checked WiFi Headphones anyway because there wasn’t wireless or bluetooth as an option.

I tell you mate, it’s a daily battle. I really wish they had come with a sort of neck string so I could remove one and it would just hang, like my old flat filter earplugs. I have considered trying to superglue my earplugs string onto them but then it would be an arse putting them safely in the charging box and I’d worry the glue would stop working.

They are good but they’re not THAT good, so I tend to use them only for my running where I used to keep catching my headphone wire.

1 Like

Yeah I meant wireless

1 Like

WiFi headphones sound cool. Like wandering around your home just collecting audio streams from some kind of device on your home network.

1 Like

Just get the basic iPad. We are very much an Android family but we have an iPad because they are cheapish and the best.

1 Like