tech things that are much worse than they should be

I just hate the constant updates everything needs as soon as you try to use them

and you know the updates largely dont improve anything but how they harvest data

2 Likes

I used to live in a house that had a washing machine that must have been 20+ years old (this was c2005 and the machine was brown, and I can’t imagine many brown washing machines were being manufactured past the mid 80s).

The settings were labelled alphabetically and nobody knew what any of them meant because obviously the manual was long gone, but it didn’t matter, because we were told we could only use it on setting G or the belt would break.

So maybe not that old

1 Like

We’ve got USB chargers on most transport by now, it’s pretty good

2 Likes

Rented a flat not long ago that had a toploader [insert dancing in the moonlight reference here]. It was new as well, who knew they even made those anymore. Rubbish it was too.

1 Like

Not really. Cars are essentially fly-by-wire now and the only thing stopping it from fucking up is basically the hope that the sort of software engineering we see in Windows isn’t in the engine controls

1 Like

I bet there’s a whole sub-genre of videos on YouTube for that.

I want something that automatically peels mangoes

4 Likes

If you’re peeling them you’re doing ut wrong.

You slice off the sides and then cut a grid in to chomp the cubes out while holding the skin.

The main issue is getting the flesh off that bloody stone.

Been amazed/annoyed at how well a MacBook communicates with a Samsung telly and a Sonos soundbar, but I’m guessing that they’re specifically conforming to Apple’s spec rather than any give and take.

More likely Apple just confirm to the Google Chromecast spec, certainly when it comes to Samsung.

Sonos need to match the Apple specs for sure I think.

I got a smart tv for my bedroom, figured dont need external aerial reception and could just watch stuff on the smart apps, television insisted on needing an aerial and being tuned in to validate itself for some reason, even though say a fire tv stick doesnt need that with the same apps. also it updates it self in the middle of the night wit a flashing green LED that is like waking up in a disco. googled the problem and found the toshiba forum and people with the same complaint about being woken up by this flashing upgrade, their response was ‘it is not sold as a bedroom tv’

4 Likes

i guess it depends on how you’re defining “essentially the same thing”. Yeah, a box on wheels is a box on wheels and a spinning drum that washes stuff is a spinning drum that washes stuff. But a lot of the tech used to create those basic archetypes is very different to what it used to be, particularly with cars. I mean today you can pay tens of thousands of pounds for a box on wheels that doesn’t unlock in the cold and might randomly set on fire

2 Likes

I was on the Isle of White last weekend and the buses had USB points in the backs of the seats. Don’t use much other public transport tbh.

1 Like

I know software is a bit of an open goal but Microsoft powerbi is just such a mindblowingly awful abomination even for Microsoft that I feel it deserves a mention. The cherry on the cake is that they send you an email about it roughly twice a day announcing some “improvement” in fluent gibberish, which just means the next time you open it it won’t work in a slightly different way.

Well @froglet you’re right, I have to pull the skin off each time. I guess it just doesn’t bother me at all or I’d have remembered it

Unless you mean something else.

1 Like

That is what I mean!

1 Like