Technical Music

Post examples of great technical music in this thread. This is the technical music thread.

3 Likes

Is saying that Tool make Technical Music a bit like saying Deafheaven make Black Metal?

By the way, if anyoneā€™s looking to make mad dollar, write some music and upload it to Spotify under the name Tool. Spotify donā€™t seem to give a fuck and look at those playcounts.

is this technical music as in the complicated machinery employed, or technical music as in the sheer mind-boggling technical virtuosity of what is being played? Cause if itā€™s the latter, I offer Robert Fripp and his guitar circa 2000 to the world:

2 Likes

Good question, Iā€™m gonna allow both.

For the guitar spods, once Fripp kicks in heā€™s playing exclusively picked 16th-notes at 138bpm in a bewlidering array of time signatures - one transcription Iā€™ve seen says 4/4, 6/4, 7/4, 10/4, 14/4, 23/4, 24/4 amongst others all used at some time or another. Technical virtuosity doesnā€™t usually equal good music, but as far as Iā€™m concerned, in Frippā€™s case it does :slight_smile:

1 Like

I reckon Pretend are one of the best ā€œtechnicalā€ bands around. If for no other reason than the drumming on this track: Spotify

1 Like

Before he was in Death Grips:

2 Likes

Their latest album is so so good! Just the way they can switch tack so effortlessly is incredible. Hope they donā€™t take so long with the next one though!

Their best song as far as Iā€™m concerned.

1 Like

Not music, but what does it mean you go in an outdoor shop and they start babbling about ā€˜technicalā€™ jackets and things? Sounds to me like a load of death-throes-of-late-capitalism-marketing bollocks designed to make people feel they are superior and somehow special because they bought some Gore-tex, but I stand to be corrected.

There were only two years between Tapestryā€™d Life and Circular Raesoning, right? Felt like it came out almost immediately, given the six year wait after the debut.

Either way, Iā€™m already ready for more from them.

Itā€™s Autechre.

Shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit! Didnā€™t realise theyā€™d released anything new considering how long Tapestryā€™d Life took! Thank you sir for this glorious surprise!

1 Like

here you go maoam

Leave it to the japanese to go over the top in just the right way <3