technology that is no good and is bad

Microsoft Word

4 Likes

can’t have rolling news without wheels, @Gert was right!

2 Likes

I was talking to a colleague a couple of weeks back about changing one of our reports so that whoever’s running it selects their name from a dropdown and it automatically fills in a database userid, email address and mapped drive letter for that user, rather than all of us having to manually type each (unchanging) field in every time. He asked me if I was going to store the details in a JSON file and after a brief bewildered pause I admitted I had thought basically a csv file would probably do.

Mini Discs were great! Let’s get him, @plasticniki !

8 Likes

Still better than Google Docs though. I briefly had a writing job where it all had to be done in Google Docs and as a long-time Word user it made me want to scream.

It actually contributed to me leaving that job because it slowed me down so much, absolutely awful.

4 Likes

TikTok.

Spicy take, I know.

15 Likes

However, on the topic of Microsoft products, Teams is a horrible, buggy pile of crap and needs dealing with.

5 Likes

Sex toys are in the uncanny valley now, imo

1 Like

Drones.

1 Like

Citrix

3 Likes

NFTs
Cryptocurrency
Metaverse

2 Likes

Robot dogs

1 Like

The Internet in general. 99% of websites are poorly coded, cluttered unusable shit.

4 Likes

Ccccccc-cocaine!

3 Likes

Probably shared this a few times.

My mates told me how good Mini Discs were over Walkmen and so I bought one. The price of those discs were pretty high.

Absolutely hated the fact that you had to record albums onto them in real time and you had to do the maths on how many albums would fit onto a disc time-wise. I would have thought the tech would have been better as it was quite a hassle recording things across.

I drunk about five pints and a bottle of wine on a night out and was hammered. I left my bag on the tube that had my Mini Disc player and got out and only realised when I was going up the stairs. Actually felt a bit of relief of losing that device.

When I sobered up the next day I went to Argos and bought a Disc Man. That was so much better than a Mini Disc for me. I’d grab four or five CDs off my shelf each morning and liked the instant choice I’d have for my daily listening.

1 Like

Apple software

4 Likes

I guess you never used cassettes then? Because the MD was the same as them in these respects unless you used an optical or inbuilt transfer system (i.e. a stereo with MD and CD built in) whereby it was a bit simpler and would send the track data to the mini disc which was nice.

When you got LP2 and LP4 MDs you could fit way more on but you got double length on mono so I used to record three or four Beatles albums to an MD into mono. Was pretty cool.

The main thing about MD was you could very easily record your band with them and get a really good high quality version just from a mic in the rehearsal room.

1 Like

:nerd_face:

2 Likes

Oh, I’m an oldie. Cassettes were a staple of mine. They were cheap and very disposable and you wouldn’t be pissed off if you lost one or if it got damaged.

I know cassette recordings were in real time too but they were analogue recordings as opposed to the digital ones with the Mini Discs.

Edit. It was the recording thing I found “odd” with them. You could record a CD from a CD for a mate in a couple of minutes but the Mini Disc recording from a CD was in real time.

I forget how much Mini Discs cost but you’d have no problem in taping some albums on your own cassettes for mates and never getting them back but I think Mini Disc prices were high and you might be down several quid for each disc if you did the same with those.

might go and look at my old minidisc trading website on the wayback machine and cringe

3 Likes