Teenage rebellion

We also used to play the “Batman game”. Someone else would chant “nanananana” quietly to build things up. You then had to shout “Batman!” as loud as possible. Dick and Dom totally ripped us off with Bogies.

2 Likes

One lunchtime at school, must have been about the fifth year (is that year 11 in new money? I don’t know, the last year of GCSEs, anyway), half a dozen or so of us went into the room where the next lesson was going to be and piled up all the tables and chairs in a big jumble in the centre of the room. When the teacher arrived we told him a poltergeist had done it.
Detentions all round.

13 Likes

I remember we had a teacher who had really weird mood swings. One afternoon in double drama (a level) we were allowed a break to get snacks from the vending machine. Turns out the vending machine was broken and was spewing out everything for free. We came back laden with goodies and gleefully told the story to our laughing teacher. Then we got to the end of the story and he turned completely stony faced and told us all off and said how inappropriate it was and how he couldn’t believe we’d done it.

:man_shrugging:t2: :man_shrugging:t2: :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

All of it.

Actually I say I was quiet, I quite like that my school reports tended to vary between the teachers who said I was timid and the ones who would get annoyed when I’d do shit like telling the class I was going to have my bone structure adjusted so that I could come to the fancy dress day at the end of the year as an authentic-looking bicycle

11 Likes

I utterly failed at this apart from reading David Icke and Philip K Dick on my kindle constantly.

I realised I was boring when I started playing ‘Smiley Smile’ by the beach boys for maybe the 100th time in the house when my dad gave me a look of true confusion and said ‘you’re love the beach boys, don’t you?’

3 Likes

never did my homework. was more laziness than rebellion though.

that was about it tbh. boring.

My high school had a policy that after a certain number of absences, you had to have a signed note from the dean of students in order to return to class. Obviously, I learned how to forge his signature and merrily cut classes to get high and generally be an idiot.

My downfall was inevitable but I hastened it by actually showing up for orchestra every time, because I loved it so much. Persistent absences from all classes but one turns out to be noticable.

Kids these days are soft! Back in my day, we had to sneak around reading books and such, none of this easy-peasy “Oh, I just listen to music” nonsense! Bah.

Yeah this

I was always in trouble for being easily distracted and not paying attention, so I just tried to keep my head down for the most part. Always did homework in breaks before the lesson it was due and listened to lots of hair metal with dodgy lyrics. Oh and a brief early teen fire obsession, but everyone has a fire phase don’t they?

1 Like

My teenage years coincided with the advent of rave culture and ecstasy. Suffice to say I spent a lot of time lying to my parents about where I had been and what I had been doing. “why are you sleeping all day ? have you been up all night ?”

“Um no, I’m just really tired :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I wasn’t really rebellious at all, any flirtation with rebellion was usually treated with gentle good humour (like the time I wore a studded bracelet). Had a Klaxons are Kunts t-shirt but I ruined it after one wear by washing it with something that turned it orange (the reason I was washing it - rather than my mum doing it - was because I had thrown up all over it after a night doing 99p test tube shots at Metros, Cardiff’s premier indie club).

Also had that terrible “Religions = shit” t-shirt posted elsewhere, persuaded my mum to buy it for me from a market in Italy but even I cringed at that after a couple of wears.

I was such a nerd that when I was 16 I asked my dad if I could go to the pub with some mates, he said it was fine (we got kicked out but found we could go to the local Indian restaurant and have pints if we bought a meal).

1 Like

Local Indian, is there anything it can’t do? :heart_eyes:

10 Likes

Yeah, exactly this^
Not really rebellion, just the realisation that I could get my own way by lying to my parents about stuff, and a lot of experimentation with booze etc and dancing, so much dancing.

1 Like

Usually tried to do mine in other classes before the one it was due for. Mixed success.

My parents allowed me to drink when I was 16 but I didn’t. I remember my mum asking me if I’d had a drink when she picked me up from a rare special occasion pub visit and when I said no, saying “oh…you know, you can if you want.” So uncool my mum had to encourage me to drink.

Started having the odd pint at 17 but never got proper drunk until I was 18

2 Likes

I rebelled by not drinking

Aaaaahhh

i got barred out on weed and codeine for my maths GCSE. i failed the maths GCSE.

2 Likes

i then got barred out on weed for the resit GCSE in sixth form, and failed that too. subsequently i tried for a third time, sober, off my own dime and scraped a pass.

1 Like

I did this too at 16, although with the knowledge my sister had already been doing similar. Just didn’t think I’d be able to provide a convincing lie for where I’d been. I think my mum was just relieved id made friends at my new sixth form and was getting a social life at last

1 Like