Televisons

Just bought the Sony. Another 5% off through my works perks thing, so £418.

Need a bracket for the wall fixing. And probably another one for the existing living room telly to go on the wall in the kitchen cos the existing kitchen TV is ooooold and that bracket’s probably totally incompatible.

Need new speakers, too, to replace the mid-90s JVC minisystem ones that are doing an unfathomably decent job considering the age/price/size of 'em. But they don’t fill the room in our new gaff. Still swithering as to whether a soundbar can be trusted to do as good a job as a pair of equivalently priced hi-fi separates speakers.

would like a massive TV for our living room

what’s the best way to get one second hand, any london DiSers have one to get rid of?

They cant. A pair of speakers will almost always outperform a soundbar in their price range. But youre paying for the convinence and aesthetic, noteveryone wants a pair of speakers in their room so at that point ir beomes a question if what you want, the best sound you can buy or the convenience

1 Like

:+1: Prefer the aesthetic of speakers, tbh. Will assess the cabling issue one way or another.

:loud_sound::loud_sound:

1 Like

You’ve really got me with that “cigarette tip lighting up looks like its fucking leaping off the screen”. But what do you reckon your main way of viewing films is? I no longer have any means of playing blu ray, so would be mostly watching stuff from iTunes/Prime etc, or stuff I have on my NAS drive. Do you need to be viewing blu rays or those crazy 50gb rips to actually get the real benefit?

Netflix is very much HDR ready. All their newest shows supports it. The first time I noticed the tip leaping was durin GLOW

2 Likes

Got bored researching and picked up a 43" Samsung QLED the other day as we were passing a Currys. Watched quite few things on it and it’s great. Well happy with it, and it’s great that iTunes automatically upgrade all your films. Spider-Verse looks bonkers! As does, randomly, Ghostbusters.

Although really regretting not getting ethernet points put in when we did the loft.

guys wtf is the difference between QLED and OLED? asking for my parents and cba to read the thread

QLED is basically a very bright LCD screen with improved localised dimming - these screens can really pop especially with HDR
OLED isn’t an LCD each pixel is lit up individually allowing for perfect blacks and infinite contrast ratio. It isn’t as bright as most QLED displays but usually offers more natural picture. Typicaly have superior pixel response rate meaning ghosting and blurring is basically eliminated allowing for clear picture no matter how much movement is on screen.

1 Like

you’re a legend ducky

2 Likes

Television, the drug of the Nation
Breeding ignorance and feeding radiation

(currently watching The Chase)

1 Like

Got my eye on that HISENSE 4K HDR QLED everyone seems to rave about… anyone have a set from them?

Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

What do people think the “sweet spot” is in terms of spend right now for a nice HD TV? You know that spot where diminishing returns really kicks in rapidly if you spend any more. Had the same TV for 12 years now and I can get a much bigger screen in the space with a more modern set

• 48" screen is my limit screen size wise cos any bigger and it won’t fit on my chimney breast. Would prefer it to have decent support for all the streaming and whatnot built in

There’s a decent discussion in this thread

And a handy guide here (follow the other links in it to get a fuller explanation):

Now is a good time of year to buy 2021 TVs as they’ve dropped in price due to the release of the 2022 models. Keep a track of prices using PriceSpy and then pricematch in John Lewis or Richer Sounds.

ah ta - I knew I’d fail to spot the more recent thread

I have some John Lewis vouchers to use so will deff be shopping there

Just to say that when we moved, we got a new tv. 65" Samsung thingy that still blows me away 4 months down the line. Thought it’d be too big but it is in fact actually perfect. DVDs look like crap on it but blu rays/4K telly/Xbox look ridiculously good.

1 Like

Can’t remember what size ours is - I think 48". It’s a Samsung OLED. Really like it, but it’s backlit so you get that backlight bleed when you watch non-full screen stuff in a dark room (so, all films basically). Took me ages to get used to. Picture is amazing though.

Picture-wise, it seems like it’s quite hard to buy a rubbish TV these days, but worth having a play with the smart features. The Samsung Smart Hub is so bad - a barrage of video ads for their content the second you switch it on, really unresponsive UI, buggy apps that never get updated, questionable data gathering… I switched all of that off and don’t let the TV connect to the internet, and just use an Apple TV (questionable in their own ways I guess, but way nicer to use and slightly less dodgy than Samsung from what I read).

Oh really? Mine seems great. Just quick access to all the apps we want, no connection issues, no bugs, all good.

I’ve never ordered an LG Oled. So long since I’ve had a new tv I know I’ll be pleased no matter what

Yeah, it was really annoying. It is different on each of our Samsung TVs though.