Tell me about a nice place you've visited recently.

Winchester a few months ago. Lovely place.

A huge thank you to @rich-t for a great list of places to go to and things to do.

And an excellent 1 in 1000 chance accidental meet up with him there too when I was on a walking trail.

how did you get on in Ely the other day?

Was very nice, had a meal at one of the pubs you suggested I think (the Albert?), then a wander round the cathedral and an ice cream. Didn’t see a whole lot else other than the walk up from the station and back, but can’t complain.

1 Like

Mate of mine lives literally across the road from this
After a drinking and dnd session it’s very nice to have a jaunt round

3 Likes

I was in South Queensferry on Saturday. It was really nice.

We drove to North Queensferry on Sunday bit. It wasn’t as good.

Had a really great time in and around Beccles, Norfolk at the August bank holiday. I’d kind-of assumed that it was a fairly non-descript market town but it’s very pretty, with a nice river / marina etc. Went on a boat trip and we were the only people onboard, so it was like having a private tour.

(Rare pic of the cheeksters as they’re not easily identifiable)

3 Likes

This is my go to beach when I’m back in West Wales. Freshwater West. Beautiful and unspoilt as it sits with the national park. Quite a few big films have used it as a location most notably Harry Potter. (It’s the burial / death scene of Dobby. And location of the shell house. This has unfortunately led to people leaving painted pebbles and socks as a tribute to him in the sand dunes. It’s a mess and if it gets any bigger will start to affect the dune structure. Why can’t people just visit and take a photo?

Also my dad’s ashes are scattered here so it’s extra special.

Not my photo but one of the Dobby tribute.

3 Likes

Such a beautiful area.

1 Like

Yep, I’m back there this coming weekend for some much needed sea air.

1 Like

My wife used to go on family holidays to Solva, a bit up from there. I think her favourite place in the world is Newgale beach

1 Like

So many amazing beaches. Newgale was a geography field trip for many Pembrokshire kids (not sure if it still is) due to the erosion and constant flooding across the low lying road and fields. In fact they are planning a bypass which which will remove the road through completely I believe.

Great Dixter, about a month ago. Been a few times before, but only properly realised how amazing it is on the last visit. The long border in particular is :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Lud’s Church on the edge of the Peak District in Staffordshire late August.

Our first attempt at a proper hike with the girls. Had an OS map with a route planned, but turned out the website I found the walk on listed completely the wrong postcode so Google maps sent us somewhere completely different. Had no phone reception to find the new route, so drove at random over moorland to find a couple of bars. Pulled over as soon as we got some to work out a new route…only to look out the window and like a scene out a crappy sitcom see a wooden finger post literally two feet away from us with Lud’s Church written on it pointing to a path.

Not quite sure where we started or finished from, so the map was useless, but walked a circular route through moor, forest, hill, climbed some big rocks and explored Lud’s church chasm all within about 5km. Beautiful.

Enjoyed the Google maps label too:

2 Likes

That looks lovely! We went for a walk quite near there, further up the river, when we were in the Peak District earlier that month. Ended up at Three Shires Head (which was a bit overcrowded and spoilt) but the walk towards that way was gorgeous. Photo doesn’t really do it justice:

1 Like

It’s an excellent, kid friendly route with enough variety to keep them entertained, so recommended if you find yourselves over that way again.

Your walk looks good too, and not too far from where we were. It’s only an hour to the Peak District from here, so hope to get over more often now. Will put Three Shires Head on the list. Thanks.