Tell Me About Dublin

Shithole

Dublin is popular, but I reckon Belfast in NI will eventually be more popular as a destination.

You just can’t keep a good county down.

4 Likes

Have a doughnut, there are doughnut shops everywhere. Go to the jail, that was quite good.

1 Like

Oh, THAT Belfast

1 Like

I watched the Bourdain episode from Dublin last night. It’s the only one i’ve seen that i didn’t think was excellent. Some of the choices seemed a bit generic, but the scenes in the first pub, think it was called Gravediggers, made me want to jump on a plane. It’s probably a shitey tourist trap, but looked brilliant to me, just hiding behind a gate, sinking pints of the black stuff, eating coddle, standing room only in a dark 200-year old pub - that’s what i want.

Echoing this big time, temple bar is full of pubs where you can pay upwards of €7 for a pint

Some nicer ‘traditional’ pubs in the city centre for yer lovely Guinness would be Kehoe’s, Grogan’s, Toner’s (great beer garden), Doyle’s

For craft beer wankery, Against the Grain, P Mac’s, Black Sheep are all good

Whelan’s for yer pub playing indie tunes with a nightclub attached. Workman’s and Grand Social are also great late bar/clubs with an indie/alt bent

2 Likes

There’s a HMS one as well

1 Like

that was probably down to the works to extend the Luas (tram) line, that’s finished now. traffic is still insane though

Dublin has been being rebuilt bit by bit for the last 20 years I reckon. There was cranes all over when I was there last year.

Theyve all started shutting down now, dunno what the new fad will be

Already? It did seem a bit unsustainable tbh.

Footballer who played for a number of English clubs including Manchester united and Norwich.
Invented a musical instrument called the dube
Currently presents BBC1 daytime show homes under the hammer
Top guy

3 Likes

From the touristy stuff I’ve done :slight_smile:
Whiskey museum in town was unexpectedly great.
Guinness tour was unexpectedly tedious and dull
Post office 1916 exhibition is good.

If you want a list of pubs to visit I’ll do one later

If you want drugs get a rickshaw.

If you want a burger before the gig go to Bunsen.

3 Likes

Booked my Interpol ticket so will be going!

Are there are any suburbs or less central areas that are within easy reach and worth visiting (Thinking in the vein of Camden/Shoreditch type areas to draw a parallel).

Thanks a list of pubs would be handy and very kind!

ftfy

2 Likes

Where are you staying?

Do you want old school Irish pubs?

But like the guinesss, I’m not bitter

aye i’d echo this, spent a couple of hours in temple bar when we were over last april and had a fucking great time, it’s obviously a more expensive pint but the atmosphere and band were magic

2 Likes

It’s ace.