Tell me about what you think of when you read/hear the word 'portal'

Your most immediate or most common thought when you read the word (because I recognise you might think all of these)

• A gate or door
  • A magical doorway/gateway
  • A website or application page
  • The Computer Game
  • A technological doorway/gateway

0 voters

In general I think the word Portal implies

• Something mundane
  • Something magical
  • Something technical

0 voters

I was thinking the other day about how the dictionary or thesaurus would just tell you the word portal is a synonym for a gate or a doorway etc.

But really for me I think it always implies something chiefly magical and then at least technological. Maybe that’s just because I’m into fantasy/sci-fi shit though.

The fact you capitalised it in the question I think skewed me more towards the game than a dictionary definition as it read like a title more than a word.

1 Like

Ah good point. I have undone that now. Damn, I skewered my own polling.

A little spinning vortex that takes you to the next level.

edit:

portal-pixel-art

5 Likes

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test.

4 Likes

Any portal in a storm

1 Like

1 Like

I tend to think of tech but not because I work on the technical side; my degree was part of the information science dept directly over the library so there was a lot of time spent accessing various research hubs which were always referred to by way of ‘portals’

1 Like

@The_Respected_User ’s threads being a “portal” to great content

4 Likes

Always just something boring at work I’ll want to avoid

1 Like

Wow, what a beautiful interpretation x

1 Like

Also

images

1 Like

I imagine a woman with an American accent saying ‘portal’ and me having no idea what it really means.

Nice try narc

3 Likes

cum

2 Likes

Played through Portal 2 again the other week, it really is great isn’t it. Shame Valve all but stopped making games as they were basically the best in the world at it

3 Likes

Particularly aggrieved they weren’t content with stopping themselves and did the same to Campo Santo.

I think about the Weebl and Bob episode with weighted companion cube.

2 Likes

So, the computer game? :grinning:

1 Like