Ten Years of Future of the Left

Not yet but next month possibly I think?

Really enjoyed this article. Read it last night when it was posted on Twitter. Great read. Would love to read more about the experiences with the record labels etc…

Dont really know any details but both biffy clyro and oceansize seemed to have similar experiences with beggars. Must be a stool pigeon exposé somewhere.

“THE biggest cunts on earth!”

It was interesting to hear how painful the creative process was for Travels … as that’s my favourite fotl disc by a good margin.

Also good to hear there may be some Christian Fitness shows, I’ll be there.

Really enjoyed that. Cheers for posting

Thanks for this - a great read. Recently bought all the Christian Fitness stuff and really love it. Would pledge in a heartbeat for anything they do to keep them going. V happy for Falco and Julia too.

ahh i miss reading the stool pigeon.

1 Like

I know their sound guy.

Really really like notes on acheiving orbit.

7 Likes

Brilliant piece, thanks for posting.

I recall being baffled by the lack of success of Travels back in the day. There was some really strong NME coverage but, that aside, it really did feel like it was our little fanzine and a few people on these boards talking about it. I recall first hearing that SXSW session of Arming Eritrea and barely listened to anything else for 3 months. It was one if those rare moments in life where I felt like I was getting a sneak preview into the next Nirvana or something.

But when the record came out, nothing… Many friends who’d loved mclusky hadn’t given these guys the same chance and it felt like they were supporting people who should have been opening for them; los campesinos, Be your own pet, etc.

You always had a sense that the love was lurking, like when they got asked to play for ATP vs the fans before any other band, but I was so pleased for them when that fundraising total was met within minutes and showed them how appreciated they are.

A great, ever evolving band and, at every stage of the band’s line up (for differing reasons), a great set of people in general.

1 Like

Great article and it’s made me listen to them non-stop since I read it. I was at that small Garage show he mentioned and I went to the toilet half way through (it was upstairs so you have to walk past the stage to get to the loos) and when I came back my mate said “they were ripping into you for doing that while you were in there”. Ha ha. As said above, Beneath the waves is awesome off Plot… soooo good.

1 Like

That was a good read. I had a terrible time at one of their shows last year so I’ve sort of written them off as a band, but it’s always fascinating to get such insights about the indie music scene. And I’ll always have time to read screeds from people who are so in love with music they simply cannot do anything else - especially from someone with such an endearing way with words.

1 Like

yeah when they ended up on 4AD i was quite excited about where it might take them. i guess they’re not really the sort of band 4AD bothers with these days for whatever reason

Thanks for all the ace feedback, is wonderful to read - it’s all Falco’s work really, I just asked a few questions. I’m not even a journalist! Wouldn’t mind doing another one like this though - all depends on who’s up for it.

I feel like they have scores of records in them yet, almost like they’re just getting started - they never sound like they’re retreading old ground.

3 Likes

Read this at the weekend, great stuff - really interesting to hear that about Travels as well, I had no idea.

So excited about the amount of material that’s bubbling away as well, they really are fucking fantastic.

Kelson as a dentist? Scenes.

1 Like

Slap Bass Hunks, the fourth Christian Fitness record, is out now. Well worth your money.

1 Like

“Whilst dressed as Stan Collymore, STAAAAN COLLYMORE…that cunt”!

1 Like

You gaddamn right! Laid down my reddies for it tonight.

Bruce hated puppies, he thought they ran like fannies

He’s a lot of fun, he’s a lot of fun when he’s not not a lot of fun

Sold

If only there was a thread to discuss that exact subject