Tennis Thred 2018

fingers crossed for another Nadal win at the French to stop that

(or it’d be nice if someone new* won a slam, either is good)

(*not Isner)

The men’s game just desperately needs the equivalent of Osaka to come along. Depressing to see the likes of Thiem and Zverev appearing to not quite be able to make the last step up… yet. As you say, watching the slams getting ticked off by Nole and/or any number of other crumbling old-timers is a depressing proposition.

1 Like

Theim / Rafa for the French. Australian will be interesting… Djoker has won it so many times (vs the US open, which he had/has a poor record in the final of) I don’t know whether his motivation level will be there or not. He was pumped for the US, as he was in Cincinnati (the only Master’s series he hadn’t previously won). So much of his game is mental, will be interesting to see if he has that edge in Melbourne (if he does, he’ll likely win it!)

a lot can change in an off season but it’s a bit ominous given Nadal’s the only player who can challenge Novak at his best right now and his knees can’t take a full hardcourt slam anymore.
do think Zverev and Thiem have both shown signs of progression this season though, even if it hasn’t been as smooth as people hoped

1 Like

I used to feel this way about Djoker, but his list of achievements in the era he’s played in is nothing short of remarkable. The fact he still doesn’t get the support of crowds in majors also leaves me pulling for him

1 Like

He’s Chelsea. It’s a rollover when he wins anything because literally nobody cares.

1 Like

Yeah it’s a toughie. It’s not even as if you can accuse him of being boring. His athleticism has always been eye-catching and he’s as capable of a Hollywood shot as any of the other top players. As you say though he’s just always the crowd’s second favourite. Something just a bit… odd about him.

But it just wouldn’t sit right with me if he ended up the holder of the slam title record. Partly because Federer is clearly the better player, partly because of making up the numbers with a load of Oz titles (less of an issue now that it would have once been) and I guess also because if he were to do it then it would definitely be because his old adversaries had fallen by the wayside and no new ones had stepped up to challenge him.

Won’t happen though. He’s got another three in him tops.

tbf most of Federer’s early slams were racked up against comparably poor competition. Think as Djokovic was born into the Federer - Nadal era he’s had to face the toughest competition to win his of any great player ever. This was his first ever slam win where he didn’t face another member of the big 4

don’t think he will get to 20 though

1 Like

I guess we can’t see into the future. Any further titles will either be by beating Fed/Rafa/Muzz when they’re not at their peak; or by beating the new generation of players. If he wins another 10 slams against that opposition i guess @colinfilth has a valid point (but at this point there’s a lot still to be done, and you could argue that wining in this era for the number he has is INCREDIBLE - I don’t know the numbers, but I imagine he has a higher number of slams in the era since all 4 have been active at the same time, given the number rafa/fed won pre-djoko/murray)

He has a much higher ratio of big title wins to small ones than any of the other current players. He really brings it to the big games.

Like Federer, his French Open win is asterisked because of not having to beat Nadal :wink:

true though!

SInce he won his first slam in 2008 he and Nadal have both won 14, Federer 8, Murray and Wawrinka 3 each and Cilic and Del Potro 1 each.

that’s kind of what I’d expected, although thought Djoko would be up on Rafa. Thanks for taking the trouble to look it up (or for having an encyclopedic mind!)

find it really endearing that the crowd was singing Ole so he pretended to himself that they were singing Nole

1 Like

:slight_smile: amazing. What did he think the “delpo… delpo…” bit was on the end…?!

Wimbledon to have final set tiebreaks at 12-12 from next year.

The world’s going to hell in a handcart and now John Isner’s going to win a slam :wink:

2 Likes

WTA Finals have been dinging so far
wonder if there’s ever been an 8 player / team sporting competition with such close odds

:frowning:

Yeah really shitty. She’s not caught many breaks has she.