Tennis šŸŽ¾

I think the reasons for the flux in the womenā€™s game is the more worrying thing. With the exception of Serena, I canā€™t think of a player on the womenā€™s tour who has been able to string together more than a season of grand slam-winning worthy form at a time since Venus faded.

It seems to be less healthy competition and more crash and burn from the players, who surge and then break down mentally or physically.

Anyway, my mate was at Roland Garros yesterday to see Woz, Rafa and Novac (unfortunately Serena didnā€™t squeak into his session). Apparently getting great tickets is so much easier, cheaper and more straightforward than Wimbledon. His treat to himself in his 40th birthday year is to do the same for the US Open and Australian too. Weā€™re off to the Queensā€™ club final in a few weeks.

Hope you have better luck than I did. [I was at the Nalbandian v Cilic final]

So gutted I missed out on Lopez v Karlovic on clay. That must have beenā€¦ a tennis match.

I reckon Fredo Murray is deliberately tanking these days, just to have an excuse to split with Soares and team up with his hobbly little bro.

part of the reason for it is just that there are loads of talented attacking players without much of a B game on tour at the moment, who can take anybody out and lose to anybody.
tbf Kvitova, Muguruza, Azarenka and Kerber have all won multiple slams across different seasons this decade even if none of them have racked them up like people expected them to. donā€™t think the latter two have underperformed really. former two (esp Mugu) def have and itā€™s hard to fully put a finger on why. anyway i think Osaka has a more complete game and probs more of a winning mentality than any of them & will end up with a lot more in the long run

Iā€™m off to Rosmalen again which is the week before Queens. going for QF day again. proper excited

also think mens slam results are never really gonna be a fair comparison because the favouriteā€™s always more likely to come out in top in a best-of-5 match than BO3, regression to the mean and that

In the latter stages of a tournament, sure, but you donā€™t see bagels all over the shop in the menā€™s game.

fewer breaks of serve in the mens game cos they serve bigger and more aces so get way more free points in their service games though, reckon a womens bagel is equivalent to a mens 6-1 or 6-2

And todayā€™s comedy player is Sloane Stephens. Six service breaks in a row.

Tsonga being the French number 10 now blows my mind a bit

Iā€™m surprised he makes their top 100 at the moment.

I was just trying the two Sporcle quizzes on menā€™s players whoā€™ve won more than 20 matches at RG and also at Wimbledon. Got over half on both, but embarrassingly couldnā€™t get Wilander for the former or Tsonga for the second, which given that Iā€™m actually watching Tsonga on Eurosport is a bit funny.

[Also missed two other French Open champions during my adult life]

just checked and the British number 10 is world number 408 Alex Ward

who is retired

1 Like

good timing
https://twitter.com/NYTSports/status/1133751519550038017
would not have guessed Italy have even more top 250 players than France

Osaka - Vika 2nd set has been immense
bit sad that if Vika loses sheā€™ll be unseeded again for Wimbledon and probs get another nightmare draw

Would be loving this mens draw if the finalists didnā€™t feel so inevitable. Stan back on top and Kei doing his 5th set warrior thing :heart: . rest of todayā€™s matches look fun too

Caught the end of the Stan match. Tittypass is quite an intense chap isnā€™t he! I have never seen a man so absolutely nailed on to lose from the off take as long as Paire did to do it.

only saw the (less than 4 minute long) RG highlights, sounded like a proper classic so gutted i missed it. mad that that was Tsitsipasā€™s 2nd ever 5-setter, illustrates how quickly heā€™s risen

I think he blew quite a few BPs in the final few games and then lost his level just at the moment Stan woke up. Wilander was proper sulky about the result.