Tension and release bits in music

gonna quote myself, because i’m fasicinating

more of this sort of stuff please.

One song releasing an album’s worth of tension

Used to love love love that bit in the unkle track with Richard Ashcroft vocals (lonely souls?) where it all breaks down for the synth orchestral part and then does that freaky drum tension release to bring the track back in. Listened to it again not so long ago and thought it sounded pretty naff.

Not sure if the tension gets released but at the end it builds and builds I always imagine them levitating

Actually I was thinking of hooray for humans, this video is good regardless

Build up to 4:20 release after that

the little interlocking guitar part in that is one of my favourites. their drummer was like an inbuilt creator of tension too.

Nice username / post thing going on there @tricklenipple!

that’s a goodun here, like that little eye of the storm bit between the tension and the release is italiankissingfingers.

2.33 in except there is no release

Also the way the music gradually builds with Chaplin’s speech until the climax and it goes back to the Chariot, lovely

Been wanting to start a thread like this for a long time. ty for doing it.

Akron Family - Moment

Really like that bit in positive tension by bloc party

Static is probably the ultimate one

nina nastasia’s good at letting the tension bubble but usually doesnt release it
several points here i guess

Almost went with Silverfuck or Hummer, but decided upon XYU. Everything starting at the Mary bridge is pure tension building (actually that’s a lie, it doubles as release, especially when it starts accelerating and he does the “I’m being launched into a wall” scream) until it all gets released at terrifying scream number two and the nastiest first note of a guitar solo ever. That solo is pure release, it can’t be played without a face of blind rage and disgust.

Oh man, so much this, pretty much the whole song but in particular from about 1min 25s in

LET’S MAKE THIS STAGE OUR RUBICON
LET’S CAST A DIE
LET’S LET HISTORY DECIDE
AND AS I CROSS IT
I CHASE AENEAS BACK TO HIS SHIPS
I BRING THE RHYTHM BACK TO THE HIPS
AND AS ROME IS CONSUMED
AS I FIDDLE THIS WHISPER TUNE ON THESE STRINGS, FRIENDS
I HAVE NO NEED OF YOUR EARS
SO LET’S MAKE THIS STAGE OUR RUBICON
OUR FROZEN RHINE
OUR YIPPIE PICKET LINE, AND I CAESAR HOFFMAN
AND AS I CROSS IT
I BRING THE CENTRAL ASIAN STEPPE SWEEPING INTO THE WILDS OF EUROPE
I MAKE MY BEDROOM ROME
I MAKE THIS CITY MY HOME
I AM REMUS COME FROM THE DEAD
COME TO TELL YOU ALL TO SACK THIS CITY TONIGHT
LET’S SACK THIS CITY TONIGHT
BECAUSE I ALWAYS HEARD BETTER IN THE DARK
BECAUSE I ALWAYS HEARD BETTER IN THE DARK

OH here’s one, Goliath by Mars Volta. That part that links the first half and second half of the song where the high pitched guitars come in as the lead and the drums build into Cedric’s yell before the “never heard a man speak” section. That’s the definition of unsustainable, it makes you feel kind of seasick and might be the only sequence on any studio album that makes me actually start sweating. Please, please listen to this if you wrote them off after Deloused, it’s insane.