Terrariums

Hello. I’ve recently acquired a terrarium. Does anyone else have one? If so, here’s the place to talk about them. Mine is enclosed, I’ve had it two weeks and not done any maintenance as yet but wondering if I should add some water or something.

1 Like

I am excited to read this thread. Sadly I do not own a terrarium myself but I knew someone who did and I thought it was very cool. It was also a lamp!

1 Like

That sounds brilliant. Mine isn’t a lamp, so far at least, but who knows what it’ll become?

It’s next to a very dull bit of wall at the moment to keep it out of the heat but I may move it.

2 Likes

They’re neat

I bought one for my sister for Xmas with the subtext that she’s too chaotic to keep a normal plant alive. Which is also true for me so I hope someone buys me one next

1 Like

Ooooo, it’s lovely :blush:

1 Like

They should keep all the moisture in and reuse it in theory so I’d probably only add any water if the plants look thirsty. There are no drainage holes at the bottom so overwatering is probably a big risk.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what the advice online seems to be saying - but when I got it there was a lot of condensation inside the glass which I wiped off so wondered if I’d removed a lot of the moisture there - I realise this is unlikely though (I have a history of overwatering plants tbh)

What you wiped off probably was very little and not enough to harm the plants. I’d probably see how they look and only add more if they’re showing signs of dehydration, and even then, tiny amounts one day at a time (eg spray bottle or a little bit on a spoon). If you overdo it the roots will be sitting in water and will rot with nowhere for the water to go.

1 Like

I got a cool geometric one for Christmas, then some plants for my Birthday. Within days all the plants had died and now it’s a barren biome sitting accusatorially on a shelf that I avoid looking at at all costs. Might give it another go at some point but plants are expensive and I think my guilt will grow exponentially with how many of them I manage to snuff through sheer incompetence. Wish I had a good terrarium story but this is all I got!

1 Like

I’d really like one. My uncle was planning to turn his empty fish tank into one before he passed away so eventually I’d like to get one in memory of him. Need to wait until I move though as we have no room at all!