Terrible things people post on social media

Preferred his harassed geography teacher look.

1 Like

I VOTED TO REMAIN BARRY

2 Likes

I uh, what?

One of many reasons I turned down the offer of a rainbow coloured lanyard at work. All the “LGBT+ Allies” are wearing one. Not for me, Clive.

1 Like

Because Britney Spears used Pride to sell perfume?

Because the rainbow flag is now more about selling products than it is about equality.

3 Likes

Mate. That’s a ridiculous statement. Literally everything is hijacked by capitalism doesn’t mean the original thing isn’t valid

2 Likes

The original thing is valid, pheraps. But too many have jumped on the bandwagon that I don’t wish to be associated with it. When you have airlines flying the rainbow flag and at the same time flying asylum seekers back to their home countries where they will be persecuted and even murdered for being gay, it’s continued validity does deserve to be questioned.

3 Likes

They’ve literally done it to every counter culture ever.
They’ve figured out that mainstreaming counter culture works better than going against it and it depoliticises it. People shouldn’t let that happen

1 Like

Yeah, that’s been happening since the sixties at least. No one can stop it from happening. The mainstream and big business will always do what they like. That doesn’t mean that I have to go along with it and just accept the hypocrisy.

1 Like

1 Like

A personal acceptance of something like the rainbow is not necessarily “going along with the hypocrisy”.

I don’t understand your argument at all

I chuckled at this

https://mobile.twitter.com/HealthUntoDeath/status/1026050142296788992

13 Likes

Still remember him going off on one because Corbyn said street sweepers could be intelligent too

1 Like

I don’t care if you don’t understand. That’s no problem of mine.

It was my way of saying I don’t think you’ve explained yourself well.

As safebruv stated above, almost all symbols of counterculture have been adopted by capitalist culture…in fact it extends further to basically any symbol with associated good PR (charities, worthwhile causes etc). If you’re going to be cynical, be cynical about this adoption, not the cause/symbol itself

1 Like

My position is that the rainbow flag has lost too much of its meaning. Especially now that the organisers of Pride have stated that it’s not a political event, just a party. Last year someone with a political banner was tackled by a steward and held until police could remove them - because it was deemed an illegal political protest. The politics is gone from Pride and gone from the rainbow flag.

This weekend saw people in Northern Ireland having their banners removed by the police if they were opposing the DUP’s homophobic stance.

2 Likes

Exactly. We have gay marriage! We’re equal!

The fight against prejudice is far from over.