Terrible things people post on social media

It’s a weird thing to see her and people in the replies fixate on - the ownership of a water bottle you carry with you. What happens when you don’t have one? Well you definitely do get thirsty and so you go and buy something to drink, which means you’re adding to the consumption of plastic (also the cost of sourcing and shipping that water to the environment) or maybe single-use plastic depending on what you buy. Even if you sit in a café and drink out of their crockery you’ve now had to spend time in a café you maybe didn’t have time to do. Either way you’ve already spent far more in this one day on making sure you’re not thirsty than you would on that one bottle.

1 Like

Yeah I am very thirsty during the night and need to have water available otherwise I wake dehydrated. I tend to sweat a lot while sleeping even with light duvets. Also Melbourne is very very dry unlike London and you just become a dried up husk if you don’t drink here! :smiley:

1 Like

Just get an IV

1 Like

A wide receiver needing a very narrow delivery mechanism.

4 Likes

Very nice

1 Like

It’s a totally blind observation.

Completely overlooks the fact that personal thermos flask hydration has been massively widespread for over a century. Modern multi-use bottles are simply a repopularisation of the concept (albeit skewed more towards water etc rather than tea or soup) after a period of completely short-sighted dominance of single-use containers. And it’s inevitable within capitalism that brands will be created to try and capitalise on that.

The vacuum flask was designed and invented by Scottish scientist Sir James Dewar in 1892 as a result of his research in the field of cryogenics and is sometimes called a Dewar flask in his honour.

Dewar’s design was quickly transformed into a commercial item in 1904 as two German glassblowers, Reinhold Burger and Albert Aschenbrenner, discovered that it could be used to keep cold drinks cold and warm drinks warm and invented a more robust flask design, which was suited for everyday use.

Thermos remains a registered trademark in some countries, but it was declared a genericized trademark by court action in the United States in 1963, since it had become colloquially synonymous with vacuum flasks in general.

2 Likes

I mean, this shit is so fundamental that some of the very earliest cultures in Europe were named after their personal vessels.

The whole thing is so vacuous it must surely be some old-school trolling, or thinly-veiled advertising. :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Yeesh. The replies to that tweet contain some real brain-dribbles.

People getting angry about water in the same way they do about bicycles and plant-based food, and spouting anecdata to justify it.

But I’ve learnt something. VSCO girls are a thing. Which had completely passed me by, and seems to be specifically attached to the Hydro Flask brand. Another thing that had passed me by, but is apparently ubiquitous. Must be a US thing. It’s more of a Kleen Kanteen and Jerry Bottle thing going on here as far as I can tell.

That all seems innocuous enough, the most irksome thing being that I momentarily got VSCO confused with SCVO (Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations) and thought a teen subculture had sprung up around volunteering. :grinning:

It seems to be Chilly’s bottles that are ubiquitous here, my kids all have them anyway

1 Like

Honestly might get one as I’m always knocking over glasses of water by my bed in the night

Oh yeah, them an’ all.

She’ll fucking flip if she ever sees The Revenant.

There’s probably something wrong with sleeping in a horse carcass

1 Like

Oh god, that time I reached for my glass in a cottage we were renting in Cornwall and luckily was awake enough to see a huge daddy long-legs was occupying the bottom and the final mouthful :weary:

Always have a bottle now although I’ve noticed it needs significantly more frequent cleaning than my day-time bottle I take to work so I guess something about sleeping causes some strange levels of bacteria in my mouth.

1 Like

This might smell bad kid but it’ll keep you warm

2 Likes

Just saw this very noteworthy tweet :joy:

1 Like

:grimacing:

1 Like

None. A single Coors Light? It can go straight in the sink.

5 Likes