Terrible things people post on social media

It was Marina Hyde’s comment piece:

Hadn’t occurred to me it was originally intentional. She does go into the cult stuff rather than just use it for the headline, but could’ve had it in mind for sure.

1 Like

Ah, I see.

Possible, even with detailed cult chat, that the article was written with the joke headline fully intentioned. Chicken. Egg. No idea. Meh.

I think the Guardian wouldn’t respond with ‘that’s the joke’ even if it was the joke because not everyone is going to get ‘the joke’ so they’re happy to effectively say, “Look, THIS is the joke,” without seeming to be saying that by way of publishing a reader’s letter. (Or else it’s a made up letter for that purpose.)

No, I’d not expect the Guardian to respond with ‘that’s the joke’, either. For the reason you state, but also because that would be to ‘admit’ to making the joke (which would be a little too gutter for them, and would undermine the innocentface deniability element that the joke relies on).

So when I said ‘the correct response to that guys letter’, I guess I didn’t mean response as in ‘published response’. More I was meaning that the letter (if it even exists) deserves no more than an eyeroll in response, and publishing it serves no purpose other than to tediously reiterate the obvious joke (which is tedious enough in the first place). And the ex-editor tweeting it is even more tedious. And discussing it here in tedious detail is tedious beyond any of that. And yet here I am. :confounded::woozy_face: :laughing:

Curse, you @dots - I turned off notifications for the Guardian thread to avoid getting drawn into this kind of bollox. :crazy_face::laughing:

1 Like
15 Likes

Just amazing work.

They’ve surpassed Cookie Monster wearing a poppy. Just when we thought it couldn’t be done.

1 Like

“thank ya fer yer sacrifice”

So beautiful. So poignant.

4 Likes

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-05-24/spare-a-thought-for-the-billions-of-people-who-will-never-exist

I mean okay

3 Likes

Can’t believe this thread is nearing the 10,000 mark.

Who would have thought that there were so many terrible things posted on social media?

3 Likes

Meanwhile, Olive Oyl says “thank you for your hay-ulp”…

2 Likes

Holy fuck, this is amazing

Ugh ugh ugh ugh!

Very much the latter I think.

2 Likes

images

(Obviously this should be in Great Things)

6 Likes

Is this suggesting I have denied some children the right to life by not mating with my sister, for example?

1 Like

Right -I’ve seen this so the rest of you have to as well (it’ll either infuriate you or have no effect)

Didn’t we already discuss this in the other thread?

What if he made a typo himself with the extra “M” :australia: :scream:

Imagine their defeated gammon rage when they find out Greta Thunberg was a guest character last year and the Beano just tweeted a rainbow mural with Dennis the Menace, Minnie the Minx etc. for Pride month :rofl:.

2 Likes