Terrible Things Posted on Social Media II

jesus

14 Likes

I think the rest of it is good fun. Just find people reaching to grab their pint so they can chuck it a bit weird.

Would never, ever go to watch football somewhere like that though so they can do what they want

3 Likes

Same. I don’t want someone chucking their pint on me but i dont care that they do it. Better than having a pint of pee chucked on you at a gig/festival though.

Just hate how he’s saying you cant be a real fan if you celebrate in a certain way.

Beer throwing like that is about as old as those crappy plastic pint glasses, IMO.

1 Like

on the one hand, it’s shit, on the other hand it’s very funny to me that the coach had to be labelled

1 Like

ÂŁ650K a year for that kind of gold

1 Like

Decided to go his wiki page and apparently his first cartoon in this role came the day after the newspaper was printed with the wrong date.

Which means that ever since he started he’s been unable to do anything as funny as his employers accidentally did the day before he started. In 1988.

5 Likes

Another classic :joy: :rofl:

Seriously hope this guy’s fingers and nob fall off.

1 Like

Definitely a big underlying snobbery to this tweet. People who go to those places to watch England games know what they’re gonna get (which is why I wouldn’t go in a million years) and they all look like they’re having fun, what’s the problem? Sure, it’s a bit performative, but so are lots of things that don’t attract this negativity.

Also, hilarious that out of the thousands of people watching a football match, none of them are “actual” football fans.

4 Likes

Out of interest, is this a normal situation for fans at home during a World Cup? I mean they’re normally in the middle of summer so do they always get thousands of people watching on a big screen in a venue like Wembley? Everything about this WC here feels different to me. Can’t hear it due to windows being shut tight and pub outdoor spaces being too cold too. In a normal WC more people would be watching in pubs and might feel a bit different about going wild in that space compared to the shit gig venue that is Wembley combined with one or two orders of magnitude more fans surrounding them than in a pub.

It’s at Boxpark Wembley, and venues like that yes

1 Like

It’s not actual Wembley it’s box park at Wembley.
Yes people go to big events with big screens to watch it, people also just go to pubs and watch it and people watch it at home.

4 Likes

If it’s in the summer you’ll often get people going round their mates’ and combining it with a barbecue and or party in the garden. Not really feasible in the UK at this time of year (not that it’s always particularly feasible in the summer either, mind!)

I mean yeah, that’s kind of my point in asking if what I was seeing was unusual because BBQs and going round mates is clearly the normal WC way of things.

On the one hand I’m sure it’s quite exciting. On the other I don’t want to get any beer on me.

4 Likes

It was exactly the same at the last euros in the summer with people at big venues

3 Likes

In the summer you get more outdoor screens in parks and squares and stuff which people to go to, so it’s probably more common with summer tournaments

1 Like

this is basically where the pint throwing stuff started during the 2018 WC, the first time i remember seeing everyone doing it en masse was in Hyde Park where they allowed people to watch it on the big screens that had been set up for BST

I do think that the ‘it’s coming home’/retro shirts/throwing pints thing is a fairly new phenomenon - obviously I’m not talking about ‘football fandom’ being new but it has taken on a pretty different atmosphere in recent years

1 Like

this is just life now isn’t it? before things would happen or they wouldn’t, and generally it was nice being in a bubble where you thought everything was natural and spontaneous. Things could be enjoyable. Now everything is viewed through a lens of content and its, well, shit.

Ran out of steam a bit there sorry!

(I predated all this as i once threw a (plastic) pint when ‘It’s not ok’ by My Chemical romance came on in da club and i was very excited. Im sorry it’s led to this)

1 Like

It is. It’s also coincided with England being decent at tournaments for the first time in a generation, guess it’s difficult to chuck pints in the air and shout it’s coming home when you’re getting bounced out before the tournament’s even started properly.

4 Likes