Thailand cave rescue

a question i ask myself frequently…

I meant more that there’s obviously a reason they’re not doing that and was wondering what it was

1 Like

Ha, no fair enough…my snark was purely in jest. I did wonder myself why a scuba diver couldn’t basically just yank them through one at a time.

1 Like

I used to do a lot of caving and have done one extremely short dive (about two metres long, didn’t even need diving gear) and it takes some mental preparation just to stick your head in the water when it’s that dark and you know you can’t lift your head out of the water until the water doesn’t reach the ceiling anymore. You panic and you could drown. Cave diving is a super extreme activity as you need to be a shit-hot caver and a shit-hot diver, really know the equipment, and these kids can’t even swim never mind dive. I think they’re currently over a kilometre away from the rescue base camp and it looks like there’s no chance of stopping anywhere along the way to rest, so if they get tired or scared halfway through they’re fucked.

7 Likes

What you’ve described is my worst fear. I’d probably wait it out instead

would genuinely be easier to get them back from the moon

i mean, i’m fucking delighted that they’re alive but it’s gonna be a hell a challenge to get them back to their families

it’ll happen tho, there’s so much media focus that it’ll be sorted i’m sure

In my absolute non-expert opinion waiting seems like the safest option unless they are super lucky and the weather holds, I just can’t see these kids getting prepared in such a short amount of time but I hope I’m wrong

Can they not suck all the water out?

I mean the rescue people with some kind of machine. Not the kids

7 Likes

Yeah they’re trying to do that but there’s a lot of water and it’s gonna start raining soon. By the sounds of it they’re in the best place they could be, and if they move and the rains come before they get to a place safe from flooding then they are screwed.

yep. absolutely fuck caving.

2 Likes

Tbf I wouldn’t have gone in in the first place so would never have to make the choice

1 Like

I think i read somewhere that, with regards to the equipment…that there was chance that some of the paths underwater were so narrow that the divers transporting it may have to take it off, push it ahead of them, then put it back on. I mean…that’s almost insanity, doing that as an experienced cave diver would be terrifying…there’s no way you’d get kids doing it.

I did read this a couple of days ago, so it may not be the case still…but just the thought terrified me and kind of highlighted why this is a highly treacherous situation.

lad

I would construct some kind of very very long plastic tunnel thing and just run it up to them and then pump the water out of it and then they can just walk through it. Bet Branson’s got the spare cash to get it made.

(This is all heartening and incredible.)

1 Like

Wonder where they’re doing their poos

(hope they get out soon)

i did enjoy bbc breakfast the other day spending 10 mins speculating what one of the divers meant when he said getting there was “pretty gnarly”

5 Likes

Just thinking about being trapped down a cave is making me claustrophobic. These kids deserve about a million ice creams for bravery.

8 Likes

Fucking hell.

:neutral_face:

2 Likes

no rice in the cave?

(obviously this is awful and I really hope they get out and not only that, that they get out ok mentally and physically)