that second Twilight Sad LP's a bloody banger, eh?

Worra record.

5 Likes

I mean they are all varying degrees of very good to excellent. Seeing them tour that record was probably even better than seeing them tour the first one - some of those tunes sounded thunderous in tiny venues.

4 Likes

Agree with the general point, but feel quite strongly that the third record’s pish, to the point that i’ve wondered if they changed label and left them a load of clangers or sutin.

Just feels completely atmosphereless comparatively, bar one or two early tracks.

1 Like

Overlooked I think. Songs like The Room and The Neighbours Can’t Breathe are some of their best.

Naturally it wouldn’t be an indie forum if someone wasn’t banging on about b-sides. This is off I Became A Prostitute and it slaps:

4 Likes

Really like this acoustic version of the room;

1 Like

Last two are my favourites actually, especially;

But yeah, definitely not their best album

Last effort wasn’t bad either in my opinion.

1 Like

If The Wrong Car had been the opening track (I think they said it wasn’t finished in time) it’d be their best. As it is, it’s just great.

5 Likes

It’s great, love That Birthday Present and At the Burnside.

NOCEK is also great though, the live versions of the tracks highlight how good they are. Hope they bring back Nil and Alphabet.

3 Likes

Their third album is their best IMHO. Love that icy, bleak, doom-laden synth thing

3 Likes

Puzzling for me, this. Genuinely like someone claiming Yellow Submarine was the Beatles’ peak. I’ll give it another go.

Their last two are my preference, but I appreciate I’m missing something with their earlier albums

2 Likes

reckon it’s the best one.

gutted they didn’t tour it in Ireland. i’ve seen them tour every other album apart from my favourite one.

1 Like

found the third record quite disappointing at the time but quite like it now.

i miss the guitar noise, but quite like the stark PiL vibes

(they didn’t change label until the last album)

1 Like

1st > 4th > 2nd > 5th > 3rd I reckon

Top 3 are all excellent though

4 Likes

Nah, they totally lost me at the third album. Everybody and their dog was doing gloomy post punk synth shit and everything great about the first two LP’s just disappeared (alongside the warmth of his voice).

1 Like

The third is one of my favourite albums - and although it’s sacrilege to say it, the debut has always sounded a bit hokey to me after hearing the icy industrial BROOD of the third. I’m glad he dropped the wide-eyed sweet kid thing and got nastier (lyrically and vocally).

1 Like

The rankings of most of the others change depending on mood but the first LP is still their best and the 3rd is still their worst imo.

4 Likes

Liked the 5th when it first came out but never really go back to it.

3 Likes