that second Twilight Sad LP's a bloody banger, eh?

Some of the lyrics on the first album are pretty dark too!

2 Likes

I really like it but them basically only playing it in full and a few choice cuts (saw them a few times on that tour) and the live album they did subsequently of that tour means Iā€™ve heard those songs enough tbf.
Think the issue with their setlist was that the drummer lives in the States or something and they couldnā€™t just bust out a lot of songs due to him not being familiar and limited rehearsal time. Hope they address this next tour round.

1 Like

Yes loved the 5th when it came out but altogether itā€™s a bit too much (overproduced?). Still listen to certain tracks- Modern Drugs is awesome. Have found it difficult to listen to certain bands over the lockdowns, especially ones I like as much as TTS as find the emotions in the music too overwhelming.

4 Likes

At the time I thought the 4th was a big return to form but I donā€™t go back to it as much as some of the others now, it definitely feels like the ā€˜poppiestā€™ album theyā€™ve done (relatively speaking)

1 Like

Never been able to decide where to place the 5th. Feels similar to the 4th but with the volume/distortion turned up, which is nice. Some of the lyrics do feel a bit on the nose compared to the more oblique stuff of the past. But then the fellaā€™s been through a lot and I canā€™t blame him for being a bit more direct.

1 Like

I like the third one best, but thatā€™s probably cos I only heard them for the first time due to the Weatherall connection sparking my interest.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure that ā€œwide-eyed sweet kidā€ would fit at any point in their discography, really. Itā€™s the tone to his vocals (which are rich in the first album and flat after the 2nd) which I found lacking. A little better on the 5th mind.

I think, for me, the first two are class, as is the fourth and fifth, and the third album doesnā€™t exist.

Honestly, it was such a synth skeletal slumberfest, and I never go back to it. I basically ignore it. As soon as I heard No Body Wants to Be Here and No Body Wants to Leave I knew that what ever theyā€™d not had on the third album was back, and then the fifth is like a bolt out of blue again.

Got nothing against them trying something new mind

2 Likes

Around that time there seemed to be a real trend of ā€œwere trying synths on this oneā€ from a lot of bands and almost all were a real disappoint, couple that with the LP not being s patch on the first two and it wasnā€™t great truth told. Theyā€™ve since managed to incorporate electronic into their stuff seemlessly but it was a real ā€œwha?ā€ from me at the time as all the immediacy, emotion and heart on sleeve stuff I loved about them was very diminished if not absent for most tracks.

3 Likes

re: the third album, this song is wonderful. glad they put it on the live album.

Reckon a TTS binge is overdue in the TWI household.
Reckon a HGATR would be decent off the back of this impromptu thread.

2 Likes

Yes the first album in particular appeals to me in exactly the same way Idlewild do in their less punky moments (love the punky moments too obviously) in that they really capture an atmosphere and create a world. Not just because they are both Scottishā€¦not explaining this well but itā€™s just something about them.

3 Likes

This might just be the post that is both

1. so speaking my language itā€™s unreal
  2. so spot onā€¦

That I feel there should be a ā€˜super likeā€™ button for this kind of situation
:smile::+1:

1 Like

The closing track is particularly atmospheric, feels like snow at the seaside on a dark night.

1 Like

Hope they donā€™t take ages on the next album, and that it sounds a little fresher than the last. I liked it - but after so long it felt like a slightly rougher (and yes, more on the nose) version of the 4th.

I really love the latest album. Felt like it rediscovered a lot of the rawer energy of the first two albums and combined it with some great songs. Girl Chewing Gum followed by Let/s Get Lost towards the end of the album is amazing.

2 Likes

Last one was such a disappointment for me.

1 and 4 are amazing, 2 is great, 3 is alright, 5 is boring

Id got so excited for the 5th one after 4 but it didnt grab me at all. Was hoping id hear it differently live but they barely toured it at all over her

Sorry for all the numbers

Ok so a really boring anecdote (is that an oxymoron?) is that I loved the first two albums but I think I must have had a bit of a blip and not kept up with music much around the time of the 3rd album. So anyway, listened to the 4th and rinsed the latest ones when it was released and then noticed on Apple Music as I was going through one I didnā€™t recognise, thought it might have been an EP or a collection or something, only the bloody 3rd LOST album. So I didnā€™t actually listen to it until after the latest one and my god it was brilliant. I think it elevated it slightly because I realised I had new music to listen to them so soon.

Anyway, Nil is one of the best songs they have done. Thanks

4 Likes

Just more general thoughts, I tend to go back to 2, 3 and 4 more than the others. 5th was great when it was released but yeah it obviously didnā€™t have that much of an impact as I thought as Iā€™m not wanting to go back as often.

They are a band I only can really listen to in Autumn/Winter because of the atmosphere they create, especially the second album

This is a pretty good watch for hearing the new songs live if you wanā€™t to give them another chance:

A small thing thatā€™s excited me a couple of times Iā€™ve seen them live recently is James not using the microphone for part of Keep It All To Myself. Seems to help form an even stronger connection with the crowd when itā€™s just him bellowing his lungs out across the room. Hereā€™s a clip of what Iā€™m talking about:

1 Like