That's no age / They had a good innings (CW: Death)

Inspired by the passing of Colin Powell, it made me think about how it seems like whenever a famous person dies, you generally hear “Ah, they were no age” if they were “young” or “Well, they had a good innings” if they were “old”. These two sentiments don’t overlap, so somewhere in the middle must be an age or range of ages where death is an appropriate and accepted outcome.

What is that age?

I’m trying not to make this topic either too morbid or too tasteless but ymmv

70-80 I reckon.

3 Likes

Man: 79.9 years
Woman: 83.6 years

70ish, yeah. Means most of us are well over halfway :confused:

1 Like

Anything up to 60s - that’s no age
Anything over 90s - good innings
70-89 - ???

Sweet relief

3 Likes

There is no correct answer to this question I don’t think.

I only realised last year (as a result of toxic debates around COVID and life expectancy) that what we often think about as being the life expectancy (~72) is only the life expectancy of somebody at the point they’re born. The life expectancy of a 71yo is obviously not just one more year year but I’d never really thought about it until then.

So according to this life expectancy table I found at the top of google, every death is too soon…if somebody passed on their 119th birthday you could say “ahh, such a shame, they still had a good 7.5 months left in them!”

2 Likes

Imagine if someone died and someone said ‘they had a really bad innings’

6xefv0xoa3a51

1 Like

Can we replace innings with something else?

“She had a really good bout”
“He had a great joust”
Etc.

Stuck 70 years in the onion bag

2 Likes

“They missed a red to the middle pocket at 87”

3 Likes

“Shanked it into the rough at 78”

3 Likes

Yeah, I hate cricket, if anyone associates me with that drivel in death, they better believe I’m haunting them

1 Like

a good length

2 Likes

Darts I reckon.

85 becomes a treble 11, 20, double 16 checkout

2 Likes

RIP ________
He had a good length,
as his widow will atest.
He also had a good innings.