The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Kedi. It’s just 80 minutes of cats and people talking about how great cats are in Turkish. Pretty solid litmus test of whether she’s worth your time.

2 Likes

Okja - Did not get on with it at all.

Something Wild - early Jonathan Demme that is on Netflix and cheered me up immensely when I was unwell. A “hoot”.

Watched Jurassic World. Fucking hell its a slog. Completely unmemorable

Also watched A Bay of Blood which did thr job

There is a pre sale at 10am for 70mm screenings of Dunkirk for anyone interested …

Here are the cinemas - Here’s where you can see Dunkirk in 70mm

Booked the Science Museum Imax, gonna take my little brothers, really looking forward to it, it’s a fantastic screen, and the extended footage looked great before Rogue One.

Spider-Man: Homecoming

Enjoyed how much they stripped this back to basics compared to a lot of other super hero films. Michael Keaton’s villain has no interest in taking over/ destroying the planet but he plays him with some real menace. The scene where he threatens to kill Peter Parker in the back of the car was pretty intense for a more family orientated film.

Enjoyed all the high school stuff, and thought the central friendship was really sweet. That said, the direction is pretty unremarkable, bar the one ferry scene in the trailer, and there’s absolutely no reason for it to have been two hours and fifteen minutes.

A strong 7 from me Clive.

1 Like

I actually bought Jurassic World off iTunes and am reminded of my error every time I switch on my Apple TV. Awful.

Watched this again on Netflix last night and it’s so disappointing isn’t it? All the dinosaurs look like total shit, and the kids are just awful.

2 Likes

Watched Jawbone last night as I really like Johnny Harris and Michael Smiley. Was alright actually. Reasonably gritty south London boxing tale. I think they might have shot some of it at that Rooney’s place by London Bridge.

its just uninteresting and seemed to give up on any plot to give throwbacks to the old film

plus the racist name for one of the dinosaurs is so weird, I’m surprised more wasn’t made of it

Nah that’s perfectly innocent, just a really weird phrasing that would only be picked up by a British audience. It’s a real dinosaur:

1 Like

Fair does - you’d have thought someone at the distributors would have had the foresight to think that most of the audience members wouldn’t be aware of that though and only hear the word and so get it changed or dubbed or something though

spider-meh-n

It Comes At Night - absolutely brilliant. See it. Read nothing about it. Then watch Krisha which is also fantastic.

2 Likes

Thursday and Friday off next week so I’m am going to do just that.

1 Like

I remember this being mention at the time and thought it was bizarre people got worked up about it. It’s a homophone that has zero racial connotations in its use (i.e. Not as if an American film used the racial term about an Asian person without realising its offensive).

It has zero connotation in America, they’re not even aware it’s a thing so why would they change or even notice it? It’s not like they felt they had to rename bender in futurama for the uk market. People are intelligent enough to understand the context and that it wasn’t a homophobic slur, same with dinosaurs.

Or you wouldn’t expect uk programs to have to re dub every time someone says fag to mean cigarette.

Great film(s). Genuinely quite excited for Trey Edward Shults as a filmmaker. Love how he has made two films that although in completely different genres, share an incredibly claustrophobic, character-driven tension.

Although I just looked him up (to see how he spell and is name) and he wants to make a Kanye biopic next, erm…

Not the same really

Something Wild is great - rewatched it the other day

I remember the 1st time I saw it was on MovieDrome with Alex Cox, god I miss MovieDrome

2 Likes