The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

didnt he pay for it all out of his own pocket and make a huge loss on it?

Aye, he financed it himself, think he said he’d break even on it by the end though and eventually will sell it to Netflix or wherever for more than enough to cover any losses.

2 Likes

i’m a fan and it’s awesome he takes the initiative to produce his own projects but realtively quite easy to make stuff happen if you have enough money to pay for it up front :smiley:

Aye, it’s more the fact that it stays under wraps that is impressive. The fact he got Steve Buscemi, Edie Falco, Alan Alda, Jessica Lange etc together for a project without anything getting out about it is pretty crazy, to then have managed it again with this cast is equally as nuts. You’d have thought someone’s agent would have said something to somebody and it goes from there innit.

1 Like

Peggy Sue Got Married has some wonderful stuff in it.

What’s anyone’s take on 4K generally? The Graduate really turned my head around to the whole 4k thing, it’s incredible, genuinely an amazing looking film. Also there’s a rash of 4K coming out this next few months; this looks like the icing on the 4k cake;
if you flip your settings at the bottom to 4K/2160 it looks proper eye-widening.

It’s obviously good but way overkill for home viewing tbh, depending on the size if your room/screen.

1 Like

this made me think of this article

:frowning:

Well it seems like its becoming increasingly difficult to buy TVs that aren’t UHD or 4K or whatever, especially over a certain size, so eventually we’ll all end up with them.

Still not enough stuff out there being broadcast in 4K to warrant me buying one just yet, plus my TV is pretty small so I don’t think I’d really get the benefit unless I got a much bigger set. When Apple release a 4K Apple TV I reckon I’ll end up getting one, although I do wonder what 1080p films look like on a 4K screen… 'Cos I spent years slowly replacing my old DVD rips with HD versions and can’t face doing that again.

1 Like

Atomic Blonde - A bit thin and cheesy but worth it for one incredibly brutal fight sequence that seems to have been dropped in from a better, much darker movie.

1 Like

Alien: Covenant

After the first half I thought a lot of the negative press was a bit harsh. But wow, does it get bad. I don’t really have anything new to say but to get it off my chest:

• That was some bad CGI. The monsters just look fucking terrible
  • Most of the chracters never have a single… character moment. Making for a startling lack of differentiaton between them. Not to mention the intital decision to investigate the planet is an incredibly stupid one.
  • There’s a trope in almost every scene. This felt like a weird remix of a dozen other sci films

Not as disappointing as Prometheus, because that felt like something that could have been quite good. This was a mess start to finish.

THE RECORDER SCENE THOUGH

I’ll do the fingering.

4 Likes

Seeking a Friend for the End of the World - pretty great for 2/3s, pretty poor for 1/3. The chemistry between the main pair was really fun and engaging, sort of fell in love with Penny instantly, good use of music. The end with the massive declarations of love was unearned, hadn’t set it up for that at all; still enjoyable though.

Watching Wild at Heart, not Lynch’s finest work tbh. Maybe his worst movie.

watched the Naked City which wouldve been better if not for the horrible quality I watche dit on

The Overnight which was surprisingly entertaining, and Adam Scott wasnt remarkably irritating for once

The Body on iPlayer, decent enuff

I love Adam Scott (in Parks and Recreation anyway, not actually sure I’ve seen any films with him in)

2 Likes

He’s great, love him on podcasts as well. Excellent straight-man

1 Like

He’s good in Krampus. Which is a much bleaker film than it has any right to be.

1 Like