The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Independence Day: Resurgence. Not great, but serviceable.

Not until 2024 apparently

Pawn sacrifice, film about Bobby fischer, could have been good if tobey maguire wasn’t one of the worst actors ever.

Watched this last night just based off 2 posts in this thread. Loved it. God I fucking love Gene Hackman.

1 Like

Oh aye, great to see that laugh a minute The Exterminating Angel in there

Watched paper moon which was properly great

good choice. I might only start watching films someone has mentioned in here

sure, it doesn’t have the gag rate of, say, Airplane!, but in general I think Buñuel is pretty funny. besides, The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is ranked much higher.

This is a pretty good list. All of my fave comedies are there. (To Be or Not to Be, Trouble in Paradise, Step Brothers, Spinal Tap, Kind Hearts, Holy Grail)

If that list were an ice cream flavor, it’d be pralines and dick.

Forgot about Dumb and Dumber actually. List is void.

you can understand why DCotB is in ther ebut Exterminating Angel isnt a comedic film

Amazing innit. Especially that long take when they’re driving on the road.

“Peter Bogdanovich has said that the long, one-take sequence where Addie and Moze fight in the car about running out of Bibles took 2 days and 39 takes to get right. It was shot on a one-mile stretch of road just before hitting a very modern portion of the town, so each time a line was flubbed, they would have to turn everything around and drive back.”

Such a great film

No Hot Rod, no Home Alone, no Groundhog Day, no The Sure Thing, no Trains PLanes and Automobiles, no Ferris, No National Lampoons Vacation

and The Party does not contain a single laugh in the entire running time

Groundhog Day is number 4! Good point about TPA though, that should be there.

shiiit

thought I’d checked the list properly but obviously not

and Elf, what about Elf!!

(might be on there, can’t be bothered to check again)

Playtime totally deserves its ranking there, masterpiece frankly - and much more interesting from a visual angle than many comedies.

That said Blazing Saddles is about 15 places too low.

1 Like