The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

It can’t possibly be any worse than Baywatch

Jeez, for a moment I thought they were saying he WAS a wifebeater, that would have been really depressing

Mother!

Me watching Mother!: Hmmm Darren Aronofsky seems to have turned into Lars von Trier
Me seeing the character names in the credits for Mother!: Oh god, he HAS turned into Lars von Trie

This film is going to get the lowest Cinemascore in history

2 Likes

Also, re: Mother!

Ed Harris, Michelle Pfeiffer and the Gleeson brothers are meant to be Adam/Eve/Cain/Abel right?

1 Like
3 Likes

probably not going to find out if i’m honest

Yeah, I’m gonna need some time to come to any form conclusions beyond “what the actual fuck did I just sit through”

Ha! Though Cinemascore is pretty stupid as a rule

Whats wrong with Lars von Tirer?

I just find him (both his films and as a person) rather insufferable. With regards to Mother! I found the shock factor of the final act and the fact the characters are just called Him, Mother etc reminiscent of his stuff, especially Antichrist

God’s Own Country - Stunning. Beautiful film. So restrained and understated and intimate. Could only really be made by someone who had lived it I think, very interested to see what he does next. A very small part of me wanted to see the equivalent film made from the Gheorghe perspective as I’d love to have had some of the blanks filled in from his point of view but that’s a different film altogether really. This was superb.

mother! - Fuck knows. Really liked the first half an hour with Ed Harris and Michelle Pfeiffer from a darkly comedic point of view. Could have watched more of just people turning up in their house and being a bit weird as a black comedy but could do without literally all the rest of it. Load of old bollocks but it will absolutely stay with me. Utter insanity.

3 Likes

Hes made some ezcellent films

A few. He is a tit though.

Oh aye i dont deny that. But only film of his i hate that ive seen is The Idiots (not seen nymphomaniac)

Idiots is good, man.

Its rsally really not

it’s no cemetary junction

Not a lot is!

I watched Valley Girl the other night. Pan and Scan download that I’ve had for years and never got round to seeing. It was weird how loads of the conversations seem to be of no importance and as if the actors are just making up things on the spot but not in a particularly enjoyable way though and the pacing is all off so it’s not much fun. It’s good that theres loads slang TURBOLICIOUS!
Mainly people chatting in cars or at parties about boys :+1:. Everyone was dressed so well in this film.
Ends with a prom which is the best way for films to end imo.
Wikipedia says:
Budget $350,000
$600,000 (With music rights)

Also that it’s being remade as a musical with Logan Paul. :[

2 Likes