The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Takeshi Kitano is pretty good.

I watched Ace Vrntura 2 on Sunday actually because im in a big Jim Carrey thing atm but it was shit and boring

Also watched The Driller Killer. Abel Ferrara claims Bruce Willis is in it

Paddington 2 - absolutely brilliant (as is the original natch). The script and the filming are ceaselessly inventive - often feels like a live version of an Aardman animation (with a CGI bear obviously). Hugh Grant and Brendan Gleeson ham things up like crazy which helps. The peril at the end was as bad as the incinerator in the first one - stop putting this fictional talking bear in trouble please!!! Wish that the civil/reasonable Britain portrayed in these films was a real place tbh tbf :frowning:

3 Likes

he has a pretty strange role in the Bad Batch.

Stalin as some sort of twinkly east-end old boy was really funny to me. I liked it.

Watched Kaleidoscope
Bit confused

stevie carrel can be pretty good imo

I did enjoy Call Me By Your Name a lot, and thought it looked amazing and had some great moments and speeches but…it didn’t really hit me that much. Or overwhelm me if that’s a better way to phrase it.

I don’t want to compare the two of them just because they both feature same-sex couples, but I feel that My Summer of Love was a more effective, touching, engrossing version of a similar story. That made me want to live in English summer countryside forever. That was much darker of course though.

Ughghgghg whyyyyy

You won’t have this attitude when the Tom Bombadil bottle episode is aired.

5 Likes

So you’re reducing him to a single episode? You monster.

1 Like

He can still appear in other episodes. In fact whenever he’s not on screen all the other characters will be asking “Where’s Tom Bombadil?”

7 Likes

He is everywhere!
Over rock and under willow!
Hey dol! merry dol! ring a dong dillo!

Saw it last night, absolutely loved it. As wonderful as the first one.

We went to an evening screening so it was mainly adults, but there was one kid there who, at the last scene, very loudly went “AWWWWW”. It was the best.

1 Like

Going to watch Batman vs Superman Dawn of Justice just to see how bad it really is.

It’s not bad in the entertaining Star Wars prequels or the Batman Bane movie way, it’s bad in the Hobbit movies way. It’s a brutally long death march which is constantly battering you in the face with a po-faced sledgehammer of absolute bullshit.

7 Likes

Plus it has Jesse Eisenberg playing Jesse Eisenberg on Acid, only worse than that sounds.

1 Like

Just started viewing. The opening 9/11 homage was maybe the most distasteful thing I’ve seen in any recent movie. Why do Batman movies have this fixation with 9/11, it’s all through the Nolan ones too.

1 Like

Feel sorry for Supes. Can’t get top billing in his own sequel.

2 Likes

Got half an hour in and gave up. Al Qaeda merked Jimmy Olsen and Superman is treated with complete disdain. I hear Wonder Woman shows up later, read a synopsis of the rest of the film on wikipedia and the patterns in my ketamine vomit makes more sense tbh. Felt like Zack Snyder made a dildo full of bad CGI and fascist violence and rammed it in and around my mouth until I said the safety word (“9/11”).

10/10, would watch again.