The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Yeah that one, will check it this weekend.

Just watched Khandahar which was quite eye opening

1 Like

The Florida Project is on wider release at the moment. It’s incredible. Pretty much the bleakest thing I’ve seen in forever. Completely dystopian rendering of people living on the margins. Completely contrasts with how gorgeous it is visually - it’s not something I personally notice a lot but the composition and the colours of the shots, everything really sparkles (even if it is a WORLD OF TRASH). The cast are all really good but WIlliam Dafoe is brilliant.

4 Likes

I saw Who Can Kill a Child last night at the BFI, wanted to see it since Mark Cousions mentioned it in his Story of Film and frankly how can you say no to that poster?

2 Likes

went to ‘wind river’ last week, by the writer of sicario and hell or high water. didn’t understand the love for the latter two of those and wind river is the worse than both. maybe not so much sicario, but the other two have fist-chompingly bad dialogue.

ive had this on dvd for about 6 years and never watched it , any good?

Yes absolutely yes.

Saw the trailer to this last week and it really looked like the kind of thing I’d like. Seen nothing but highly impressive reviews - tonight or early next week I’ll definitely go and see it.

Good Time - good score by Oneohtrix Point Never and I liked Robert Pattinson in it, but it did feel a bit formless and aimless in the end. Also, is Barkhad Abdi doomed to just make glorified cameos in films for the rest of his life now?

Saw Sorcerer yesterday. Bit ropey in places, reckon even without Star Wars it would have struggled to bring people in, but that last hour is INTENSE.

Still the best on-foot chase i’ve ever seen and definitely the only film where someone throws a dog at the hero. Random Red Hot Chili Pepper men showing up; also brings the lol.

1 Like

Watched Inherent Vice. Ita quite fun but the plot ends up being a bit lightweight and not really going anywhere, didnt reach a truly satisfying conclusion. Quite fun recognising people though - Martin Short! Joanna Newsom! Eric Roberts ! Belladonna (errr had to google who she was though.obviously…)

Watched Death of Stalin last night, thought it was very good, Jeffrey Tambor has one of my all time favourite faces

4 Likes

Found a showing, will be going Tuesday

1 Like

nah, always mean to but not got round to it yet

I gave up on it after a few episodes :frowning:

There wasnt one thing, I jusy didnt really find it too finny. I didnt give up as much as just forgot to keep going, might pick it up again!

Ever seen the Garry Shandling/Ricky Gervais interview? So awkward

sort of related to this chat

watched Jim & Andy last night, which was fascinating and funny and kinda morbid. Carrey’s an… interesting guy

Justice League has suffered the ultimate indignity: taken off the largest screen at Picturehouse Central (and replaced by Murder on the Orient Express)

3 Likes

tempted by this tbh, might bang it on