The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Watched that on Saturday as well in fact. Fucking devastating piece of filmmaking. The level of admiration I have for the matriarch of that family is astonishing.

Also watched Voyeur on Netflix which was really interesting, follows Gay Talese who is someone I knew absolutely nothing about as he embarks on the release of his book about an absolute creep who owned a motel back in the day with a specially modified attic so he could spy on people in their rooms. The story itself is interesting but it’s the exploration of the ethics in journalism that I found most compelling with a kind of meta sub-section that questions the ethics of the very documentary process you’re watching.

American Vandal did it better I bet :wink:

Not seen it yet but I do want to.

Well given what you said about the meta ethical section you definitely should, much deeper and smarter than you initially expect (though also plenty of great dick humour too ofc). Maybe my fav new show of this year, along with Dear White People

1 Like

hi pals!! i have watched

Knock on Any Door - entertaining court room drama with Bogart, quite straight forward but fun

Taxi Tehran - loved this, really loved it. its on iplayer and I implore anyone to see it, its quite short

The Vault - b movie thing, with James Franco weirdly. its got awful reviews but it was actually quite alright for what it was.

Horrible Bosses 2-thought this had a few good jokes at the start but when they introduce an actual plot, it falls apart massively

Black Coal Thin Ice - won the Golden Bear but i don’t think it’s that worthy of it. decent enough but nothing amazing

Went to the newly refurbished Odeon Panton Street which is now a plush, reclining seat with footrests haven, to see Brigsby Bear. It’s pretty weird, treats themes like abuse in a jarringly cosy way but I like how oddly bizarre it was.

A bit weird that they’ve re-named the cinema the Odeon Luxe Haymarket - it’s not on Haymarket! Should have just kept the Panton Street name.

Are the toilets still down the front of the screen?

Oh yeah, nothing about the layout has changed it has just got new seats and carpet.

Been thinking about getting a Limitless card, but can’t tell if this is included. Went to the Panton St Odeon all the time before the refurbishment and it looks like they’ve kept the programming the same which is good, but a bit annoying because it was only £6 Monday - Thusday

I have a limitless card and it is included so defo worth getting it.

1 Like

Ah ace I think that seals it for me then!

Watched Darkest Hour last night. Didn’t think Oldman disappeared into Churchill as fully as makeup, hype, etc leads you to believe. Still, despite that and it being a really romanticised hollywood take on him, it’s perfectly enjoyable. Performances are generally decent, direction is satisfactory, and most importantly, the story is obviously great.

There’s a terrible scene I think Londoners will hate where he rides the tube one stop from St James Park to Westminster but it takes seven minutes and he has time to speak to everyone on the carriage and have a little cry.

I don’t know why the Christing fuck there is another shitting Churchill biopic

4 Likes

Would love to see one where he’s portrayed as a total imperialistic shit but who on earth would ever fund that.

3 Likes

I would if I had the money

3 Likes

Hello, watched Smoke Signals today at Uni as part of a Native American Literature class.

I hadn’t heard of it before but it’s the first and still one of the only entirely Native American made films (despite some money from Miramax shudder) and while it has aged a bit since 1998 and the acting is perhaps a little bit jilted from traditional Hollywood standards, it is a very well told story that does some interesting stuff with both filmic and Native American “narratives”. It’s quite funny in places too but in a very understated way as well as obviously having quite an important status. Won a Sundance award, so now you know

1 Like

Sicario 2: Electric Boogaloo

3 Likes