The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Ah, sorry. Was more a ‘that’s a lot of films!’ reaction really!

1 Like

Seeing it on Saturday, a fun game I seem to have been playing for months now is counting how many times the word “numbers” is said in the trailer so I’m looking forward to finally playing it for the full running length

I genuinely remember nothing about this film.

Not even the old diner lady? Best supporting performance of the year.

1 Like

i rewatched this again on monday. still good.

1 Like

moonlight: good

Hacksaw Ridge - What a strange film. How are we supposed to invest in the outcomes of the first half when we know full well that he will be making it to the war?

The direction in the first half was so flat in comparison to the battle scenes, it felt like they knocked it out in a week with 1/10th of the film’s budget. There was so much noticeable green screen whilst they are just knocking about their small town and next to none when they’re in Japan. I’m certain that the scenes of Jesus’ earlier life in Passion of the Christ were visually much more arresting, so I’m not sure what went wrong here. The score was fucking awful too.

I didn’t realise it would be such an overtly Christian film, which is fine, but feels super at odds with a soldier picking up a torso and using it as a shield in the first 30 seconds of battle. All that aside, nobody does carnage quite like Mel Gibson. The final hour was genuine edge of the seat stuff and fully horrific in quite an enjoyable way.

Not sure why Garfield was nominated for Best Actor from this over Silence. Also thought your man Sam Worthington was surprisingly good.

nope. i haven’t seen this film but i refuse to believe he is ever anything but an absolute charisma void

1 Like

Watched Bunny Lake Is Missing. Title says it all

This new film The Fits sounds interesting, but not sure I can be arsed to go to Hackney just to catch it this weekend. Show it in more cinemas, damn it!

ICA are showing it a few times, too.

Yeah, but I can only really make early afternoon showings on a weekend =( Maybe the Prince Charles Cinema will pick it up in future weeks or something.

Was waiting the whole film for the wee silent lass to do something impressive then old Wixy dispatches her with complete ease!

1 Like

GFF #7 Free Fire missed a day yesterday purely because what I wanted to see I am not your negro sold out. Anyway, this is Ben Wheatley’s new film and it is pretty much just one long shoot out comedy film. It is easily his most generic, but still retains his sense of humour and carnage, and is simply a lot of fun. Quite a few inevitable comparisons to Resevoir Dogs to be had, but stands up on its own merit.

Not gonna lie, I’m getting pretty pissed off waiting for Odeon to start showing Moonlight. Nothing scheduled for the next two weeks.

Saw Moonlight last night, and yeah it’s great. The third act was a bit weaker for me, felt narrower in scope and seemed the most like a play, but those first two acts were pretty much great scene after great scene.

It takes a lot to get me to cry in a cinema and can’t remember the last time I did but when little asks “what’s a faggot?” I was set off.

Weirdly, the second half of the film was soundtracked by soft jazz coming from the cinema’s restaurant, which we could faintly hear and was quite distracting. I thought it was part of the soundtrack at first, but it came up at a very tonally innapropriate time and then never left. I’m not sure if it was poor soundproofing or a temporary problem with a vent or what. Going to email the management and complain. It’s the only independent cinema in Newcastle though, so I don’t have much choice but to keep going even if they tell me to do one!

his mum’s moneypenny!

kin hell i spent the whole time trying to work out what film i knew her from