The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Oohh yeah that looks excellent!

Oh it is!

1 Like

A Simple Life. Proper good

1 Like

I largely agree with you, although I don’t think it ever really got going. Was hard work for very little reward though.

Have no intention of watching it again. Obviously incredibly well filmed, but not particularly epic or as interesting as his other films. Much too long as well. Left a little depressed at the heinous acts people carry out in the name of religion.

Was odd how people in the cinema laughed at inappropriate bits in the film though. There was a bit where Japanese Christians were being wrapped in a mat and pushed off a boat, where people audibly giggled, either because we’d become desensitised to all the gore, were so desperate for at least a little bit of a laugh, or the fact it was just an unfortunately comic manoeuvre .

rewatched interstellar last night

was still alright apart from the end. at least the ending was a lot quicker than I remembered it.

One of the all time worst films when it comes to sound dynamics. All Nolan films are guilty of this but jeesus, Interstellar especially. At normal volume people are whispering but turn it up and everything is super loud, feels like the subwoofer is going to explode. You basically have to watch it with the remote in your hand turning it down when the bass gets heavy. It forces you to become basshunter, of all things.

Or at least that’s how I found it. Still like the film though.

5 Likes

The Kusturica film? That film’s amazing, properly batshit but amazing.

If you liked that give Black Cat White Cat a go. It’s essentially a Shakespearean farce being played out by Romani gangs.

Picturehouse Central are doing a Kenneth Lonergan ‘retrospective’ aka showing his first two films. Saw You Can Count On Me tonight. I think it might be one of my favourite films. I’m glad they kept the lights down for the credits so I could wipe my face clean. Laura Linney is so so great in this. It’s laugh out loud hilarious at points too.

I can barely handle it when Mark Ruffalo leaves

Can’t wait for Manchester by the Sea next week.

Manchester by the Sea is great. What all the film trailers miss out is that it also really funny.

rewatched hateful eight last night

hated it the first time but thought it was better on a rewatch. still fairly pish. the score was brilliant though.

this is on Amazon Prime now I think, might give it a watch, haven’t seen it yet. can’t really think of a Tarantino film I didn’t enjoy, sorry everyone.

1 Like

yeah, that’s where i watched it

I enjoyed it but I’m a big fan of his stuff.

I liked it both times I’ve seen it and definitely enjoyed it more than Django.

@japes is right about the score being brilliant, I just wished Tarantino hadn’t used the White Stripes track. It felt really out of place.

1 Like

agree with the general consensus (?) that everything after jackie brown is shite.

enjoyable, but shite really.

I’d say after Jackie Brown he’s been very indulgent which leads to flaws and over long films but not shite.
I love Inglorious Basterds and think it’s a wonderful love letter to the power of cinema (esp earlyish German cinema) and a rumination/deconstruction of films place/use as propaganda.

Hateful 8 while again overlong did touch on very pertinent issues on Americas issues with race which is obv something he cares about. How well you think he does it depends on how much you like the exploitation film shtick he wraps it in of course.

Inglorious Basterds is really good

Django Unchained is one of the worst films I’ve ever seen

Masterminds - Silly crime comedy with most of the recognisable SNL faces from the last decade. My flatmate’s choice as we wanted something light and daft on a Thursday evening. Far funnier than I was expecting though as you can imagine, it relied quite heavily on gross out humour. My biggest laugh was how Zach Galifianakis’ characters hair was styled. Simple pleasures. 5/10

i’m a tarantino fan but for me the hateful 8 is his weakest film, i was so disappointed by it. score is great though

1 Like