The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Nah, Robbie Collin’s views don’t tally up with the Telegraph’s political views from what I can tell so I don’t think it’s that.

He’s definitely right about Aquarius that just came out, great film.

Yeah I’m not being entirely serious, it just amused me it was in the telegraph.

I watched Popstar - Never Stop last night. An Andy Samberg mockumentary thing. It didn’t do anything surprising, but I loved it. Ridiculous amount of cameos in it and it was just fun. Silly humour, but not stupid as in ‘insult your intelligence’.

Judd Apatow’s penis appearing by the limo window - scary stuff

Was it his? Actually, that was very strange to be honest.

I think that’s what they said, though maybe it was a joke.

‘You look like Nazi propaganda’ was my favourite line in it

Any of you Fassbinder experts? Want to dip my toe in during the BFI season but no idea where to start.

why is a film called ‘Life’? Don’t do that.

I didn’t!

cheerfully withdrawn!

2 Likes

I’ve seen a handful, and liked pretty much all of them - aside from a few early ones that were quite bad french new wave rip-offs. Merchant of Four Seasons might have been my favourite. Fear Eats the Soul is generally regarded as his most classic, though I’ve not seen it.

2 Likes

Ive got a boxset but only watched a few. Mubi are doing a Fassbinder retrospective atm

Get Out - Thought it was really well paced and the way everything was revealed was very clever. Thoroughly enjoyed it

1 Like

Saw Personal Shopper at the weekend, it’s two half-baked concepts bolted together to try and make some sort of cohesive whole. There are bits that work quite well but overall it’s pretty limp.

1 Like

I wasn’t mad on Get Out. Liked it, didn’t love it. Like so many horror films the build up is better than the reveal, which I though was a bit too comedic, and not very tense/scary.

I also felt watching all the trailers gave far too much away and I’m kicking myself for that. I was super hyped for it though, but still should have resisted.

Also - 3 young girls behind me chatted the whole way though. Had a total Larry David moment, as they were black and I would normally have asked them to shut up or moved seat, but obviously I had to make a big production about going to the loo then moving to a different seat. Yeah, yeah, I know.

1 Like

do people really need another Spideman reboot? blimey

It’s part of the MCU now though! I’m not too fussed myself, though if it has good reviews I might give it a go. And it’ll make tons of money and then everyone will act confused why Hollywood can’t be arsed with originality. At least they’re not dumb enough to do another origin story anyway.

Get Out - Really good, kind of agree with LMAO in that the build up is definitely the strongest part of the film. Also it was way too sponsored by Microsoft for my liking.

3 Likes

Get Out - Really lived up to the hype and totally hits the nail on the head with the social satire. Striking a right balance between genuine scares with a creepy and uncomfortable vibe whilst also managing to scatter humour nicely throughout. Though there was maybe a little too much of Rod in the last 15-20mins or so, he was much funnier in smaller doses ?. Loved the use of Redbone early on and had to stick on Awake, My Love immediately after getting home :smile: 8/10

I’ve not seen Keanu nor any of Key & Peele, are they worth checking out?