The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

There’s barely a single line of believable dialogue in it.

And the jokes are so obvious and poorly delivered.

I was embarrassed to be human.

Amy Jump’s his wife no?

I enjoyed Free Fire for what it was, nothing more, nothing less

1 Like

Ghost in the Shell. Polished to a brilliant shine, but a turd all the way.

1 Like

Free Fire was absolutely fine. If I was the kind of person who rated films out of ten I would give it six and then deduct a point for trying to make a cult film, which no-one should ever try to do.

Just saw Free Fire. What a load of tedious nonsense. Like all the worst bits from every tarantino film

Blimey, it’s really splitting opinion eh!

I think it’s shit but of course i havent seen it and never will thunderbirds.gif

3 Likes

Tomorrow We Move. Pointless

Can see why people wouldn’t like it but don’t really get how it’s managed to annoy some people as much as it has. Something has to plummet to Frances Ha levels of awful to annoy me that much in 90 minutes or less.

1 Like

Went to see Free Fire

Really wanted to like it, but it was a bit meh…

1 Like

Armie Hammer, Brie Larson, Cillian Murphy et al all came into the pub (the Great Eastern, for anyone who cares) but couldn’t find a decent-sized table. My friends and I moved to a smaller table for them, so Armie Hammer bought us all pints and repeatedly called us “legends”. Armie Hammer—good guy.

I thought Free Fire looked a bit shit though, sort of annoyed you’ve recommended it 'cause now I have to go see it.

7 Likes

I can never remember what Armie Hammer looks like. I don’t know what it is but even though I’ve seen him in loads of stuff I couldn’t pick him out of a crowd. See also: Jason Sudeikis.

Yeah, Jason Sudeikis looks like everyone, and Armie Hammer just looks like an action figure

Get Out - brilliant film, well deserving of the praise. Just the right amount of humour (Ron was brilliant), bit of horror and creeping suspense. A lot, LOT better than so many horror films I’ve seen recently. Thought old tea leaf from Pyshcoville was excellent in the lead.

Only bit I didn’t like much was the brother who was annoying and wanted to be a cross between Rupert “punk as fuck” Grint and Theon Greyjoy. Fairly satisfying when he got his head smashed in

1 Like

Love the Great Eastern

Thought you were talking about the Delgados album for a moment :frowning:

2 Likes

Aquarius - Wow this is fantastic. Same director as Neighbouring Sounds and similar themes of gentrification and class but with a sexual undertone thrown in for good measure. 2 1/2 hours flew by. My film of 2017 so far (that isn’t Moonlight)

2 Likes

Have had the DVD of this sitting on the shelf for about three years. Bought it the same time as The Act of Killing and, for some reason, have never been in the mood to sit down and watch either…

Another thumbs up for Get Out here. Absolutely brilliant.