The 2017 Film DiScussion Thread

Agree with this. Not worth the time spent watching it.

Watched a low budget British film on Netflix last night - We’re all Going to Die which had a couple of faces I semi-recognised but couldn’t tell you exactly what from.

Was a pleasant use of 80 minutes, filmed in and around Folkestone, there was some really devilishly comic moments and both main characters leading each-other on a journey of realisation throughout a day after meeting by chance in the morning… Wiki suggests the budget was £65k, they did a decent job with it. And Charlie Simpson penned the score which was pretty lovely in places as well.

Fast and Furious 8: absolute nonsense, no plot, but massively entertaining. Statham was incredible, Charlize Theron was terrible. Everyone else did a good job, felt like a parody in places.
Convenience: Had Faisal from Four Lions in it and a fella from Eastenders. They try and rob a petrol station at night after one of them runs up a debt at a strip club. Was just okay really, nothing much to add. Giles from Buffy tries to set himself on fire.

Terminator : Genisys. Not great is it? Didn’t buy Emilia Clarke as Sarah Connor. She just seems like a cute neighbour you have a crush on, not a leader of the resistance against the machines. Maybe I have Linda Hamilton wedged in my head. I dunno. The crowbarred ‘I’ll be back’ was a given and groanworthy.

Even my girlfriend who has a high tolerance for stuff said at the end. ‘That was just stupid’.

Quite a flawed film - still annoyed they give the twist away in the trailer. Fucking stupid. Yer man playing Kyle Reese was by far the worst part of it.

Arnie was good though.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - like the first one, but not as good. Some very funny moments though, the gags about Drax’s turds and Mary Poppins had me in stitches. Can we get a spinoff with Michelle Yeoh and Ving Rhames’ characters?

Hmm whilst overall this was still a very fun film (The ravagers storyline in particular); I found with a lot of the jokes that they either fell flat or just came across as very forced. Just really trying to milk the humour that worked so well in Vol 1…

Also it’s been a while since I’ve seen the first one but I didn’t recall Quill spouting out 80’s TV references left, right and centre as much as in this one? It felt like he was bordering on Abed Nadir territory when he waxed lyrical about show ratings…

Just went to see Unforgettable and, completely unexpectedly, had a lot of fun with it. It’s got it’s tongue firmly in its cheek, Katherine Heigl plays a superb “hell hath no further like a woman scorned” and it plays like a bit of classic pulp from the Noir era but more trashily. It’s not gonna win any awards or anything but it’ll come on the telly in a few years time and I’ll gladly watch it again.

Train To Busan. Loved it. Really thrilling and tense stuff, I was completely onboard with it. Great pacing and balance between character moments and the setpieces. Really wanted no one to die apart from Mr. Capitalism who was such a dick.

Minor negatives being that it’s a bit predictable, there’s some slightly naff CGI (probably made more noticeable by the brightness and contrast), and it certainly pushed the melodrama right at the end. Not sure about the twist of the main guy being partly responsible for the outbreak, felt like a twist for twist’s sake. Then again, I’ve not seen a South Korean film without a twist, so it’s just par for the course I suppose.

1 Like

Their Finest - surprised at how solid this was. Got nicely swept up in the story and enjoyed how meta it was. Probably one of the best Brit films I’ve seen in a while.

Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Enjoyable enough, but law of diminishing returns already setting in. Also, way too mawkish. I can take one story arc about finding your family but THREE?

Watched Mulholland Drive for the first time: GREATEST FILM OF THE MILLENIUM SO FAR!*

*It has some nice breasts

still never seen it

Watched The List of Adrian Messenger. Fun because it has minor roles by Frank Sinatra, Robert Mitchum, Burt Lancaster and Tony Curtis in heavy disguise

The Handmaiden – yeah really good! Also saw it in the gorgeous Lexi Cinema which is quite the peach.

1 Like

GOTG2: ok, I am a big Marvel nerd, but I really, really liked this! Was going in expecting to be disappointed after hearing some of the lukewarm reactions, but I found it pretty much just as enjoyable as the first one. Some great belly laugh moments, great tunes, great cameos. Maybe the overall story was a bit weak and Kurt Russell’s baddie was a bit naff, but other than that, excellent stuff

4 Likes

Lady Macbeth.
The sound was absolutely stunning (sorry if that’s wanky but it really was). I’d recommend seeing it at the pictures if you can for that reason.
It’s not for everyone. I’m still pretty knocked from it I have to admit. (The next bit isn’t a plot spoiler just a general note in case you’re into knowing nothing about it whatsoever.) Just be prepared for a brutal and harrowing film.
Florence Pugh was as amazing as everyone says. So good.

Seeing this tomorrow (along with Mindhorn which looks very stupid)

Really not into period dramas, can you reassure me that I won’t be bored?

Mindhorn looks baaaaaaad, when I saw the trailer the other week there wasn’t even a titter in the audience.

Had every intention of seeing Lady Macbeth last night but we got distracted by the pub on the way #lad

1 Like